Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

Sorry to keep hijacking this thread (that’s what is seems like!)
Anyways, got over 20MPH gust today with not a sniff from the rain sensor. I’m guessing just filling and blocking the ends of the small pole actually holding my Tempest has done well
Screenshot_20220411_141044
The other bracket is on the way just in case increased gusts cause it again to happen
!

2022-04-22 15.26.45 tempestwx.com d327414e8fc4
2022-04-22 15.27.12 tempestwx.com 1835ad016f82

EDIT;
I need to be getting up the ladder again to put this up for extra support due to wind causing trigger today…once it’s triggered it keeps reporting!

Right, I’ve put the other smaller chimney clamp up and fitted the PBA back inline…come on wind, bring it! (not the false readings I hope)
EDIT;
It’s worse than ever!
Edit, Edit;
Found a strap was twisted.
Straightened it out and tightened it up properly now!!! let’s see!

UPDATE!
FAIL!

I’ve removed the bolts from the middle (the top of the bigger bracket and lower of the smaller bracket), one ‘U’ bolt is still firmly wedged and held in place by rubber ( not easy to remove standing on a ladder-it doesn’t move at all) this seems to have made a difference for the better!!! (wait and see)

4 Likes

4 Likes

no one will steel your Tempest with such a guard :wink:

I have 2 remarks regarding your setup

• Humidity will most probably be on average high just above the hedge
  • I hope when there is wind, the branches won’t scrape to hard on the pole and create micro vibrations → false rain

Time will tell

hm, tnx for replay/remarks…
maybe you’re right
I have some backup options for the position, we’ll see

until then it remains guarded :wink:

1 Like

Conduit on fencepost. 16 mph gusts w no false rain so far. Will see how it goes though.

6 Likes

Replaced an Ambient ws-1902a two days ago, so far so good. On a 10’ galvanized pole in suburban St Louis MO.

8 Likes

A five minute installation. I will be moving this to a little different location on the top of a dead spruce tree but I need to get the top of the tree level first. I’m a bit surprised that the RSSI is only -88 as the distance is only about 200’ from the hub that’s sitting in a window facing the sensor.

5 Likes

-88 dB is limit, or already over the limit. You might have drop outs at this level of signal. Best is to stay between 0 and -80 dB. Still chilly around your place :slight_smile:

Newer energy-savings glass sometimes contains a coating that blocks RF signals…

2 Likes

Yes, I’m aware. Which is why I’m both surprised and disappointed in the result. Given that I’m well within the stated range and a direct line of site through a window. I have not had any connectivity issues yet however.

I raised the Hub by which was just sitting on the window sill by just a few inches so it was above the frame of the window and that increased the RSSI of the station to -80. I’m concerned as to whether it will work with my planned long term site location. I guess we’ll see.

Not so cold now. We’re just slowly melting. My Station.

You might also try rotating the hub so the right side is facing the Tempest (left side if viewing the LED).

2 Likes

I moved the Hub tonight to a different window. It’s roughly the same distance but the angle to the sensor is now looking more at the north side of the device rather than the east side. I don’t know how the antenna is arranged within the sensor but it brought the RSSI up to -70. The distance is only about 153 feet.

1 Like

Special thanks to @WeatherFlowTeam for sending me a replacement due to a bad battery on the one I had. You can view it here:

9 Likes

My first post: Greetings from Virginia, I’m 72 hours in, and happy. I decided for a front yard install to see how it works and to have access to it. I own a 2700sf 2 story wood frame house. I secured it to a pressure treated 4X4, I did not concrete it in, but tamped the soil and the post is solid. It’s just above 9’ off the ground and ~12’ away from the house in the open. I think the only negative effects I have is wind speed, but everything else seems very good. I have a robust network, hub is -46 and the device is at -63. We had some rain and lightning last evening… it was spot on. I could hear the thunder and right about the same time I received a notification on my phone. I also integrated weather flow into HomeAssistant. Im undecided if I will move it as of now. I want

to say thanks to you all. I spent several days reading these threads while waiting for it to arrive and learned a lot.

6 Likes

My Tempest weather station

9 Likes

wow! a part of the street furniture

2 Likes

Are you allowed in your country to use public elements to host your private stuff on it ? Or did you ask permission ? At least that one won’t wobble badly with the wind. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

lighting pole is not in a public area. It is my house and my light poles around the house are 6 meters high.
Well used space for Tempest weather station :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice lights then! (they do resemble street lights though) That’s some serious illumination going on there

2 Likes

Another issue is if that chimney is active, your Tempest is going to get fouled up with soot and ash. Plus any heat coming out of flue is really going to throw things off. If it’s not active then disregard :slight_smile: