Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

nice setup and gear there.

Can’t you up the Tempest a bit ? I’m afraid wind readings might be weird bouncing around the walls. Also heat radiation might influence a bit.

2 Likes

I do plan on raising it a bit, waiting on a pole and some other mating pieces to arrive. Unfortunately I’ve got two issues:

• If I make it much higher, the landlord will probably not be very happy.
  • The brick building on the right is much larger than it appears in the photo. I will never be able to get out of its shadow.

Here’s a more revealing look of the setup, let me know if you have any ideas:

3 Likes

For sure most of us will never have siting according to the meteorological rules and the idea is to see what ‘our’ weather is locally. And a city is a city with all it’s buildings etc and that does influence temperatures and wind. The big brick wall will indeed have influence but way less than the white one just behind the Tempest, My proposal was to be like 1 meter above it. At least wind can freely flow from all sides and temperature influence way less. And as bonus the air coming from those 2 towers will less influencing too.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Not to mention the air disturbance created by the A/C units below the Tempest… +1 on @eric saying to go up a meter or so…

2 Likes

Simple Mount out in our goat pasture with bird deterrent installed. NE Ohio

7 Likes

if you ever get false rain reports, it might be caused by the sound/vibrations the fence itself makes and transmit them via the pole. But it might be ok. Just wait and see what happens.

5 Likes

Hi,

Yes… this photo is a great example of why some stations are indicating global warming :grinning:

Next to wall and AC unit will definitely interfere with the actual conditions.

Raising it up should help some.

2 Likes

Sorry :cry: Waiting on a longer pole and will pop that in once it arrives.

1 Like

No, raising the tempest doesn’t help against global warming. Removing the airco might though :wink:

3 Likes

Colorado Springs, CO. Pikes Peak to the southwest. Foscam G4 for the weather cam linked to Weather Underground.

Weather cam view (sometimes you get a “moonset” over the front range):

14 Likes

Hello! I put a 1” PVC pipe inside a 1 1/4” PVC pipe (with 6” of 1” sticking out for the tempest) and bolted them together. The 4X4 + pipe give me almost 14’ for the tempest. I added a 4’ piece of perforated angle steel to stabilize it a bit.

6 Likes

Current temporary location of my new Tempest and proposed final location once I decide what type of pole to use. Considering either 8’ vinyl covered closet rod or 10’ 6” chain link fence top rail. The fence I am attaching to is mine. Neighbor’s garage is on the other side. This is not a good location for accurate wind reading but it is the best spot I have for any rainfall measurement. Planning to simply zip tie the new pole to existing fence pole. Would either pole option be more susceptible to false rain detection and more importantly require grounding. I wasn’t planning to bury the new pole but could if necessary. Thanks.

4 Likes

The fencing might induce vibrations into the pole causing false rain. I don’t think you’ll need to worry about grounding.

3 Likes

17.2 ft above ground.

5 Likes

Got my replacement unit installed yesterday at PCB. Also mounted it on a sturdier mount and away from possible turbulence caused by the roof’s shape.

Here is the link to the data…

Tempest

8 Likes

Our tempest installation yesterday, working perfectly and installed easily.

6 Likes

What is the flat piece under the Tempest for?

3 Likes

I’m going with…bird perch so they don’t sit on the Tempest…

4 Likes

Flat base mount because the pole didn’t fit?

4 Likes

Just to provide another possible reason…A sound absorbing product to reduce vibrations to the Tempest :wink:
My mount is similar using a horizontal timber plank which allows multiple Tempest and cameras to be mounted and also reduces the vibrations from a very noisy pole.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

3 Likes