Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

hm, tnx for replay/remarks…
maybe you’re right
I have some backup options for the position, we’ll see

until then it remains guarded :wink:

1 Like

Conduit on fencepost. 16 mph gusts w no false rain so far. Will see how it goes though.

6 Likes

Replaced an Ambient ws-1902a two days ago, so far so good. On a 10’ galvanized pole in suburban St Louis MO.

8 Likes

A five minute installation. I will be moving this to a little different location on the top of a dead spruce tree but I need to get the top of the tree level first. I’m a bit surprised that the RSSI is only -88 as the distance is only about 200’ from the hub that’s sitting in a window facing the sensor.

5 Likes

-88 dB is limit, or already over the limit. You might have drop outs at this level of signal. Best is to stay between 0 and -80 dB. Still chilly around your place :slight_smile:

Newer energy-savings glass sometimes contains a coating that blocks RF signals…

2 Likes

Yes, I’m aware. Which is why I’m both surprised and disappointed in the result. Given that I’m well within the stated range and a direct line of site through a window. I have not had any connectivity issues yet however.

I raised the Hub by which was just sitting on the window sill by just a few inches so it was above the frame of the window and that increased the RSSI of the station to -80. I’m concerned as to whether it will work with my planned long term site location. I guess we’ll see.

Not so cold now. We’re just slowly melting. My Station.

You might also try rotating the hub so the right side is facing the Tempest (left side if viewing the LED).

2 Likes

I moved the Hub tonight to a different window. It’s roughly the same distance but the angle to the sensor is now looking more at the north side of the device rather than the east side. I don’t know how the antenna is arranged within the sensor but it brought the RSSI up to -70. The distance is only about 153 feet.

1 Like

Special thanks to @WeatherFlowTeam for sending me a replacement due to a bad battery on the one I had. You can view it here:

9 Likes

My first post: Greetings from Virginia, I’m 72 hours in, and happy. I decided for a front yard install to see how it works and to have access to it. I own a 2700sf 2 story wood frame house. I secured it to a pressure treated 4X4, I did not concrete it in, but tamped the soil and the post is solid. It’s just above 9’ off the ground and ~12’ away from the house in the open. I think the only negative effects I have is wind speed, but everything else seems very good. I have a robust network, hub is -46 and the device is at -63. We had some rain and lightning last evening… it was spot on. I could hear the thunder and right about the same time I received a notification on my phone. I also integrated weather flow into HomeAssistant. Im undecided if I will move it as of now. I want

to say thanks to you all. I spent several days reading these threads while waiting for it to arrive and learned a lot.

6 Likes

My Tempest weather station

9 Likes

wow! a part of the street furniture

2 Likes

Are you allowed in your country to use public elements to host your private stuff on it ? Or did you ask permission ? At least that one won’t wobble badly with the wind. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

lighting pole is not in a public area. It is my house and my light poles around the house are 6 meters high.
Well used space for Tempest weather station :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice lights then! (they do resemble street lights though) That’s some serious illumination going on there

2 Likes

Another issue is if that chimney is active, your Tempest is going to get fouled up with soot and ash. Plus any heat coming out of flue is really going to throw things off. If it’s not active then disregard :slight_smile:

Decommissioned, long time ago

On my old WeatherFlow weather station (from crowfunding) at my cottage the SKY sensor died after 5 years of operation.

So I upgraded to a new generation TEMPEST, and @WeatherFlowTeam offered me a good deal under the “10 year prorated warranty”. Thank you again for your helpful negotiation. However, the only problem is that the new Tempest has different frequencies for communicating with the hub in the Euro version, and thus the historical data from the original station cannot be moved to the new Tempest operation. This is an annoying problem, I don’t understand that they can’t simply merge the data in the cloud…

On that occasion I also decided to relocate the station to a more suitable location, the current location (and originally only a temporary one actually ) was occasionally returning somewhat dubious results in wind measurements, caused by the wind shadow of the cottage, other buildings in the garden and the adjacent woods.

In this context I also considered placing it 2-3 metres above the roof of the cottage, it would certainly measure the wind well but the measured temperature would be quite affected by the heat rising from the roof, especially in summer. Also we have a chimney there, this means not only false heat but soot and ash, we heat mainly with wood at the cottage. Plus I was worried about lightning, I don’t have a lightning rod on my roof and storms are frequent there. So this option was postponed.

I found a more suitable spot lower down in the garden, albeit on a small slope, but open on all sides. And it is also better positioned towards the sun, Tempest will see the sun most of the day with its photovoltaic panels. This was also quite a problem before, in the current location it was not only in the wind but also in the sun’s shadow, the SKY unit with its optional solar power regularly failed in winter. I then always had to install lithium batteries for some of the darkest winter months. This is no longer even possible with the Tempest, or rather without the optional “Power Booster Accessory” power upgrade. But I already have that ready as well.

I have placed the station on top of a 3 meter rigid steel pipe with a diameter of 32 mm. The pipe is galvanized, and embedded in about 80 cm of a 20 cm diameter hole in the ground, drilled with a soil auger. I used about 65 kg of special concrete to fix the pipe into the ground for fixing the fence posts. The pipe is very rigid, and the station sits on it perfectly.

I am still going to fill the pipe with dry sand to increase the rigidity, and prevent vibration. I kind of forgot about that. Or does anyone (@gizmoev ?) have any recommendations on the best way to fill the tube to best prevent false rain alerts? I don’t have a problem with it so far though.
But I’m planning this one:

I had originally selected a rod in black finish, which looks very good and was also more affordable. But I was worried that the black lacquer might interfere with temperature readings on hot days. Plus, the zinc finish also offers better protection from the weather. I couldn’t get a vinyl coated tube (as some recommend) here in the Czech Republic.

Bleiberg - Bublava PWS, Ore Mountains, Czech Republic

screenshot-console

6 Likes

This has nothing to do with the frequencies of the stations, it is because the database structure is different. From a 2 device you go to a 1 device. You can’t just transpose one into the other.

Nice work to set it up :slight_smile: