Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

The heavier the better! :slight_smile:
1 1/4” SCH80 galvanized pipe can take a beating for sure. At long lengths there will be a gentle sway. No vibration in storm force winds like shorter thin walled masts can cause.

1 Like

Set it up in early November, so far peak wind gust has been 80 km/h since installation

2 Likes

Proof of the 81 km/h for any who don’t believe it.

3 Likes

Got Tempest for Christmas. Mounted it at the end of our master bedroom.

7 Likes

Auckland, New Zealand.
I’m surrounded by tall bush, so, I wanted good height. I’m using a 31.8 mm (1.25") steel galvanized pipe that’s 2.4m long securely clip mounted to a fence post.

8 Likes

7 Likes

11 Likes

Installed on top of the roof with a 3m galvanised pole.

!

8 Likes

7 Likes

Good thought on positive locking to prevent mast from twisting or sliding. Many omit that step!

5 Likes

I just mounted my Tempest on the mast of my DirecTv dish. The Tempest mount fits perfectly on 1" black galvanized pipe that I bought at Home Depot. I got the offset mount on Amazon. I ended up flipping one of the mast mount brackets to get it tighter.

!

4 Likes

Not an ideal spot, but at least it is up :smile:
The mount is a 30 cm 33 mm Ø wooden pole.

6 Likes

I’m noticing daytime temperature readings a few degrees higher than what’s expected (as compared to other weather stations in the same town). Anyone have any suggestions on why this might be the case? The weather forecast here at 5pm says the temperature should be 64 degrees, while my Tempest reading is 70.6 degrees (about six degrees farenheit different).

2 Likes

Just from the picture, I’d say there is possibly radiant heating from the ground and surrounding wall(s). The Tempest does compensate depending on Solar Radiation and wind but it has no way of knowing about other sources of heat. Also, temperature is a very local measurement. If you had several Tempests around your property it wouldn’t be surprising to have a different reading on each one.

I have a short pedestal to the west of my house and, especially in the summer time, the the temperature at that location is a little higher than my roof mounted stations due to the radiant heat off the side of the house and the dry grass/ground underneath.

3 Likes

I’d sure expect high readings based on your photo.

Stick it in total shade for a day and see if it still shows the offset through one cool then warmup cycle.

Past comparisons say the Tempest is slow to warm up, and slow to cool down. Suspicion is that it has something to do with thermal mass of the housing and how much/little the sensor gets airflow.

Running it for a day in total shade should give you a baseline. You coul alternately stick it inside for a day to take any kind of sun warmup totally out of the picture.

2 Likes

just as others have said. But to formulate it slightly differently, looking at your spot, it should indicate a higher temperature, as at that location it probably can be quite hot. I would be worried if it didn’t show a higher value. After all, you are measuring the weather at your location because you want to know exactly that, the weather at your location.

2 Likes

HI…

With direct sun… I would think the gravel is heating up more than you might think… which is radiating upwards.

If you have an IR thermometer… check the gravel temp when the sun is on it.

If you had grass in this same area… you temps would likely be lower.

George

1 Like

Hi what mount did you use to be able to do this? Where did you get it from? Thanks

1 Like

The mount is just a aluminium tube powder coated black and lag bolted to the roofline.

2 Likes

I installed my Tempest on a 10’ X 1-3/8" chain link fence top-rail attached to a 4"X4" corner post on our deck with 2 hole 1" Rigid Conduit Straps. The weather station is 16 feet above the ground and 12 feet above the deck.

Links
https://tempestwx.com/station/38798/
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXQUINL5
Acurite Station
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXQUINL22

3 Likes