Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

Thanks! I won’t be able to get a hand on a Tempest until mid June.

1 Like

Just got mine setup and mounted. Check out my YouTube video of the Installation and more… https://youtu.be/431wKfEsZeA

3 Likes

You are going to false rain at times

2 Likes

I personally have a Sky mounted to my deck rail for rain measurements using that very same Home Depot galvanized floor flange and a 6" black pipe nipple…and have a rust stain after a month outdoors to show for it. Hence my suggestion to paint it…

1 Like

I am surprised it lasted a month The rust is coming from the black pipe nipple Even if you paint it it will rust from the inside unless you seal it , or dip it.

2 Likes

That’s a really good point. Oversight on my part since my previous PWS was in the same spot but was a dump and fill type. Must reconsider now. That cross beam will flex some and vibrations are inevitable.

1 Like

It will be the sudden shakes which might cause false rain. As the video shows in this post, Photos of Air and Installation, more gentle shaking doesn’t cause false rain.

1 Like

Well after coming home from work today, I noticed the kids were outside playing in the playset and apparently had been swinging too with no false rain reports thus far so that’s encouraging. I notice flexing when they swing but my bigger concern would have been the actively playing in the tree house and vibrations that might cause. The wife said they had been in there for quite awhile and they are never subtle at their age in how they play so maybe I’ll get away with it. I’ll keep monitoring.

8 Likes

make sure your compass app doesn’t already correct for it.

2 Likes

Tempest replaced SKY this afternoon. I used the new hub, so I’m now station 18707.
https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/18707/grid
Kept the AIR on the north side of the garage under the eves, but did not repost the old SKY yet.

Just like SKY, even though the metal pole was slightly larger diameter than the leaves of the pole mount, it still could rotate when tight. So, I added a turn and half of black electrical tape, then slide the leaves (fingers?) over the tape. That gave the leaves something to bite into, and Tempest could no longer rotate on the pole.

Probably overkill, but lest I find the Tempest on the ground someday, I also made a tape wrap around the pipe mount to Tempest seem. As others have suggested in the past, it would be nice to add a lock pin of some sort.

Are you still doing that small Tempest dividend payment, was it $15?, if we post a pic of our Tempest install. If so, is the correct thread for the credit?

Adding AIR was easy, after I remembered (Googled) that the green light at the bottom doubles as the reset button to get the “ready to pair” blinking green light.

BTW, Tempest came right on and installation, both software and hardware was a snap, well done!

(that’s my FM stereo Yagi, and Radio Shack OTA TV antenna to the left)

6 Likes

Can we really have too many?? :slight_smile: Here are my Tempest (on top, of course!), Davis Vantage Pro 2, Weatherflow Sky and Air (in radiation shield below), along with USN Aircraft Carrier Vane Style Anemometer. (Not pictured, standard 8" USWB Rain gage and about 6 antique wind vanes)

12 Likes

that is a LOT of very expensive bird perches !!!

4 Likes

Anybody looking for a really good precision compass app for their phone to help with installation of your new tempest Might try Heavens Above has a really good compass when you are looking for satellites and starlink viewing , basically anything in sky at night pretty cool but the compass is great and its free :+1:

6 Likes

Since I was replacing my old Sky/Air, installation was about a 5-minute process. Went to Weather Underground and revised my settings accordingly and voila, everything up and running and reporting within minutes. Awesome.

8 Likes

Expecting a bit of rain loss in the Vantage, since I bumped it down the mounting pole a bit. This should be a good weekend for comparisons, though – local San Antonio weather forecasting up to 6".

8 Likes

Hello All!

Received my Tempest yesterday and temporarily set it up - awaiting the roof peak mount to arrive! Linked my station to Weather Underground and my dakBoard now displays my stations (via WU) home weather… So cool!

Aaron

7 Likes

Is there a way that I can see the comparisons between the two stations? I own 2VP2s and still waiting on the Tempest to arrive.

1 Like

Even though both stations uses the Sensirion SHT-31 sensor, I do think the Tempest dew point readings will be more accurate and not have the wet bias issues as Davis does.

1 Like

Here are the two stations on WU, if that helps:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve noticed your Tempest recorded rainfall and the Davis has not. Also, I’ve noticed a big variance in your barometric pressure readings. Lol

1 Like