Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

just installed my system

3 Likes

I would be more concerned about a Beer Bottle or a ball bat :partying_face:

1 Like

Installed! I’m using a 10ft galvanized steel mast attached to the fence using vent pipe brackets. I was originally going for the roof but after I got up there it became clear the vent pipes weren’t long enough to support 10ft.

6 Likes

Our side yard new install sooo happy!
Julian

6 Likes

I’m pretty impressed with my neighbors, I’m going on 7 days with no theft, abuse or comments of any kind. It must look decorative enough they just ignore it. Also going on 7 days with no false rain reporting despite the mailman slamming my mailbox shut every day. Pretty impressive little gadget.

3 Likes

I got mine all setup on Saturday, can only get it about 9’ off the ground in the back yard. So far after two days the data is coming in great and actually picked up some lightning.

6 Likes

My installation still includes my old Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP to use as a rain and wind direction reference. The pole is 10’, which puts it approximately 8’ above the chimney, and 5’ above the old sensor. For now, I have to keep both because the haptic sensor isn’t detecting the light rain that’s normal in SoCal.

9 Likes

1/8th-acre lots in suburbia (and HOA) don’t allow for a lot of options, so this is it. :slight_smile:

I attached a 10.5-foot top rail to a 4x4 fence post using two #2 conduit hangers. (I fastened the hangers to the post using some GRK structural screws and washers I had laying around). It’s about 13 feet above ground level.

I used a Digital Compass (Android) app, but just now realized that I failed to use True Heading and instead used Magnetic Heading, so I’ll need to loosen the hangers and correct heading. (Rather than mounting blind, I wanted to have a visual on the blue arrow while mounting the station, so I held a heading of 180 and pointed the compass arrow at the blue arrow on the Tempest while I hoisted it up.)

I’m enjoying the heck out of it. Thanks, WeatherFlow!

8 Likes

You could just look up the magnetic declination for your location and put in the appropriate Wind Direction Offset.

2 Likes

Hmmm, thank you @gizmoev! Feels like that’s “cheating”, but I guess that’s what the offset is there for, eh?! :thinking:

3 Likes

10" Conduit and antenna mount from Lowes on second story roof.

5 Likes

Not sure if my condo association will approve. But considering the PVC pipe and fittings cost me less than $20, if they make me take it down, so be it !

Jeff!

3 Likes

If someone complains, tell them it is one of the new updated railing pieces. Tell them if they can keep a secret you can hook them up with one too.

3 Likes

Put my Tempest on a 6’ schedule 20 galvanized steel pipe from Lowe’s. Outside diameter was a perfect fit for the pole mount. The more difficult thing to find was U bolts large enough to fit around a 4’x4’ fence post, but I finally found those at Tractor Supply Co. I’d like more height on it, but I need to make sure I don’t run afoul of our HOA. My wife’s the president, so…

5 Likes

Received my Tempest last week, easy setup. Used this forum to get ideas on how to mount. Went to Home Depot and bought 1-3/8 in x 10 ft. 6 in. 17-Gauge Galvanized Top Rail someone had suggested. Planted about 6" into the ground, then used 1 3/8" stainless steal clamps from Amazon to secure pole to wooden fence. I spray painted the pole black for a more subdued look. I really like how it came out.

6 Likes

En attendant le nouveau système :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

4 Likes

Decided to move it off the deck post (too many false rain vibrations) and installed it using the 10.5’ fence top rail attached to a 3x4 landscape post. The post is about 2’ in the ground with a bag of quick set concrete poured in. The top rail is attached using #2 conduit clamps. All of this was purchased at Lowe’s for less than $30.
Everything is nice and plumb…here’s a few pics of the installation…pay no attention to my mostly dead grass, it was a dry June in eastern NY!

7 Likes

Mine were wacky too, so I edited them on my phone (rotated and then rotated back). Deleted the strange ones and reuploaded. And they’re right side up now.

2 Likes

My Tempest has been up for a month or two, on a 10’ galvanized pole (HD chain link fence type) attached to our chimney and guyed to three points. Nevertheless, with the strong winds we get, I often get false rain reports. But the wind readings ate consistent with a WeatherFlow iWindsurf meter down on the beach and air seems to be pretty clean. image
Looking southeast towards Newport Beach, CA

3 Likes