Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

11’ off the ground - 96” wooden dowel covered in white vinyl, attached to my post which holds my CoCoRaHS rain gauge.

8 Likes

My install has a nice view of a Pennsylvania mountain.

Seems like it is doing well, but hard to verify if I did pick up over 1500 strikes the last storm we had come by.

https://tempestwx.com/station/20634/grid

4 Likes

Up and running in Oswego

6 Likes

New to this stuff. I see a lot of people using vey long galvanized steel rods to mount the tempest. Wouldn’t this “attract” lighting strikes? Is it safe to use steel rods or sturdy pvc/wood be better?

2 Likes

it would. I’ve put mine on an acrylic mast (just because it looks cool)

1 Like

3 Likes

lightning detected, 40 feet

6 Likes

Poop detected, zero feet… :rofl:

3 Likes

WhoopleDoodle! Hope there was no Tempest anywhere near or under that.

1 Like

This happened today in Ramer, AL. Photo by Cody Lee.

9 Likes

EeeeeeOoooo! Nice visual of a Cloud-to-Ground Lightning Flash with several “Strokes” emanating from the main flash. Within each Lightning “Flash”. . . there can be as many as 100 individual Strokes.

4 Likes

Lol. Good point. So sturdy wood out the question. Acrylic is interesting, although might be expensive and hard to get in one long piece. I couldn’t find an alternative to I just used galvanized steel rod for now.

2 Likes

Nice capture Looks like the tree is on fire.

1 Like

Steampunkish. 1” black iron pipe, stand is a 2’ Skywalker heavy duty antenna mount (Amazon, about $25). Colocated with the AcuRite because they offer a live display so we don’t have to grab a phone. I’ll probably do the side by side rain deal but it rarely rains here so there’s that! Hope the raptors don’t decide it’s a good seat.!

2 Likes

What did u use for a pole and brackets?

1 Like

I think I finally got my Tempest up and mounted in a more permanent location. This is as high as I’ll do for now since I don’t have a bigger ladder and can’t access the higher roof. This is on my attached 2 car garage and mounted on a 10 foot vinyl wrapped wood closet rod. The satellite dish is coming down once I cancel them next month and use a streaming service for TV.

7 Likes

I’d like to know how bad this location is. I see everyone else has their sensor several feet up into the air, but so far cars driving by haven’t affected my gust reading. Eventually I’ll get a proper pole mount, but I like confusing my neighbors and so far this fits the bill lol.

Here’s my station link, everything seems to be in order: https://tempestwx.com/station/21763/grid

4 Likes

I would be most concerned that somebody would steal it.

8 Likes

Good point, although so far it’s obscure enough nobody has tried. I have cameras on it 24/7 so we’ll see. Would be sad when they realize they can’t activate it since the serial number is tied to me and they just toss it.

1 Like

and how did you get up that high LOL? I think my extension only goes 22ft.

1 Like