Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

@csraweather Thanks. It should be ok since being mounted 16 inches on the corner from the main 6x6 beam. I sent CoCoRaHS message about this design with a diagram and they thought it would be ok since it wasn’t mounted directly under one of the top wings. Mainly asked to keep a close eye on the reading just be sure.

1 Like

Why spend the money if your VP2 is accurate ? I’m sticking with the tippers on the jan’2009 VP2 since they almost always are an exact match for the CoCoRaHAS 4" gauge for the kind of rain we get here.

I did add the new rain cone and spikes mainly because I thought it looked better and I got a good sale price. The old black cone was getting a bit greyish after 11+ years in the sun. No measurable effect on rain sensor accuracy that I have seen.

3 Likes

Cool! I have two Stratus Gauges side-by-side located by the NWS COOP Cotton Region Shelter. I use the second gauge for storm total rainfall (liquid) and core sampling (frozen) Snow Water Equivalent determinations. Well, let’s say I am ready for snow. We haven’t had snow since Feb, 2018!

3 Likes

And finally installed at its permanent location on a 10-ft pole from a fence top rail. Notched the bottom end to keep it from rotating to keep North aimed at North, whalah! Someday it will have a permanent data link.

6 Likes

Interesting comparison, vinceskahan! I have yet to record exact match readings between any of my tipping buckets and the 4-inch gauge! Thank You for your comments! I also purchased the new rain cone / bird spikes for my 2014 VP2Plus as well. I have observed that the logo on the new rain cone design, fades quickly due to UV versus the old rain cone logo. I have a spare new rain cone with bird spikes ready for deployment.

1 Like

There are some battery hints in this thread I’ve been browsing for battery info, it might be useful:

https://community.tempest.earth/t/tempest-charging-questions/6522

1 Like

I got that same complaint from my wife lol

2 Likes

The tipping spoon is a big improvement over the traditional tippers. You should be within +/-.03” with the CoCoRAHS gauge with the spoon

The big weakness of the Davis system is their humidity sensor. It has wet bias issues in the mid ranges.

2 Likes

Nice! Never had that fortune with the Davis traditional tippers. But I do love their new tipping spoon.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! I will “give it a go”.

2 Likes

Just ordered the spoon. Will install later this week. Stay tuned for continued rainfall comparison data.

3 Likes

Anytime! Will be looking forward to the comparisons.

2 Likes

A small shower early this afternoon to test out the new weather array and location.

(Light Rain)

Tempest Field Test Unit - 0.02"
Tempest Production Unit - 0.02"
Ambient Weather Osprey - 0.02"
CoCoRaHS Stratus Gauge - 0.02"

Can’t get any better than that for the first test. Looking forward to results with moderate, heavy, and extreme rainfall.

7 Likes

How does Wind compare? As well as UV index…

The wind is as about as good as it’s going to get since the two Tempest units are reading observations at slightly different intervals. UV readings are within a few tenths of a point of each other at any given time. All observations are pretty close by the minute. I believe it is going to be very difficult to get these units entirely in sync, and they don’t have to be for me. I am happy with them all being as close as they can. WeatherFlow has done an excellent job with these devices.

We all have to remember what our Weather Prophet @GaryFunk once said,
A man has one weather station; he knows what the weather is outside. A man has more than one weather station; he has no idea what the weather is outside.

7 Likes

Those are about the wisest words I’ve heard in a long time lol.

1 Like

And a man that has a bad Tempest, hopes that @rderr may find the reason for this unhealthy unit.

6 Likes

I hope you get your Tempest back soon.

2 Likes

I hope the reason for the failure is discovered. Several have the same issue.

4 Likes

Castle Rock, CO

Thick walled pole filled with sand, anchored with a bag of quikrete

9 Likes