Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

You’re correct. It was to get additional elevation above the fence line so all the solar panels could receive sunlight.

2 Likes

Received one of my Tempests and installed it at Raleigh’s Place in Clanton, AL. I know it’s not an ideal installation for temperature readings but it was the best location for wind readings. But I do have several questions:

I was trying to find information about the calculation that WF will apply to the Tempest stations that will allow the passive shield to operate as if its fan aspirated. Where can I find it?

How do I know if CL has performed calibrations to your Tempest station?

Do you set the elevation to where your HUB is located or where the instruments is sited?

If your dirty hand touched the solar sensors/haptic rain sensor, would the dirt and skin oil affect the solar sensors?

Why is my SLP is reading .04-.05” too high and the UV reading around 3-5 too low during the day?

You can view the data here:

https://tempestwx.com/station/22889

2 Likes

@eric @dsj @WeatherFlowTeam @gizmoev

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as you, waiting for my Tempest to ship. I have mounted my PVC pole to the deck and made a bird spike to hopefully train the birds NOT to land on it.

4 Likes

Is your Bird Spike just a “training tool” for the birds. . .or will it actually be incorporated with Tempest? Where will be spiked cap be placed in relation to Tempest?

1 Like

Yes, I’m calling it a “training tool”. Since I don’t have my Tempest yet, I didn’t want birds to start landing on the empty pole that I have already set up (and then start landing on the Tempest once it’s installed).

I picked up a 1 inch PVC cap from Lowes that fits over the end of my PVC pipe and super glued nails to it. The cap fits over the end of the pipe (as shown in the photo) so that birds will not get used to landing on the pole before the Tempest gets mounted. I have heard that WeatherFlow has developed a “Crown of Thorns” type bird spike system that should be available for purchase soon. I will be purchasing one when they are available.

The WeatherFlow Bird Spike system is mentioned in the following post:

2 Likes

Yes the “Crown-O-Thorns” idea was mentioned quite some time ago. . .but they (WF) has been SO busy with Tempest lately. . .that Crown-O-Thorns hasn’t been mentioned recently. Keep tuned to the Community Forum (Owners Category) page — it will appear there when they announce it. I am interested in 3 of them — 1 for WFSKY-01 and 2 for Tempests [one field test unit and one for actual production Tempest].

2 Likes

I thought I had read somewhere that they might be available in the July timeframe. If not, that’s too bad. After seeing how well my end cap version came out, I might have to try to make my own. :wink:

2 Likes

Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated. I don’t necessarily want to move the Tempest station but will do if you think it’s necessary.

1 Like

You set it to ground level.

1 Like

That will be enabled with the next firmware update that is currently in beta testing with the Field Testers. Basically it will make adjustments based on solar radiation and wind speed. When SR is zero it will not make any adjustments.

I’m not sure how without having something watching the UDP packets. IIRC, @GaryFunk has mentioned seeing it with his third-party app ArchiveSW.

The elevation of the ground should be initially set based on the GPS coordinates of the Tempest location (rather than the hub location) and the “Height Above Ground” is set under the device settings for the Tempest. The two values are summed for the calculation of the sea-level pressure value.

I haven’t noticed a difference but then if there was some opaque dirt left on the sensor I would clean it off, being careful not to touch the super hydrophobic coating in the wind gap as it is very delicate.

Check the altitude and height above the ground values to make sure they are correct. As I mentioned on FB and/or another thread UV will calibrate after several days of clear skies around solar noon.

2 Likes

Thanks! Do you think it will help my temp readings due to the way I sited the station?

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll just need to double check my height above ground #.

1 Like

It should help but it won’t be able to detect how much radiation is coming off the roof so your temps will be a little higher. If you could raise the Tempest higher that would help both wind and temperature readings from being effected by being that close to the roof.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m going to see what I can do.

1 Like

20 foot flagpole. Finally I should get accurate readings. The flagpole is dropped in a 18” sq 17” deep hole filled with concrete. Just shy of

3 cf.

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity, how do you access the Tempest if you have to do a reset as it is cemented in the ground?

2 Likes

It’s bolted to a sleeve that was inserted in the concrete first.

3 Likes

Nice! I really find it interesting to see how everyone works out their own way to mount these Tempests.

3 Likes

Can you share what hardware you used?

2 Likes