Photos of Sky and Installation

It is a wireless rain sensor for my RainBird lawn irrigation. Here in Florida “grey” (non-potable) water used for lawn sprinkler is actually more expensive than potable water for drinking. I decided to upgrade my existing RainBird panel by inserting a WiFi module and a wireless rain sensor. Now I can correlate to RainBird webpage and determine not only rain intensity but also the soil water content. I actually was able to reduce my non-potable consumption.

6 Likes

What did you use to secure the mast into the satellite mount. Waiting on my WF to arrive. Will use 1-1/4” conduit about 6’ long to get the WF above the roof line.

How are you securing the bamboo skewers? Just received my WF today and wondering what the big fat doves are going to think about the WF.

I bought a two foot section of fence rail and drilled a few holes in it so that could secure it firmly to the satellite mount. I didn’t attempt to raise the WF any higher because I didn’t want the HOA getting on my case.

I used industrial strength zip ties to hold the skewers

A post was split to a new topic: RainBird Integration

Here is my install of the Sky finished today. I used an old Directv mount with a 1-1/2 inch piece of conduit slipped inside. I slipped rubber leg caps on the bottom and middle to dampen any vibration then secured with 2 bolts through both pipes. The I slipped a 1-1/4” vinyl wrapped closet rod into the pipes, secured by screws to the conduit. The Sky is 20’ off the ground and 2’ above the roof line.

Don’t you generally want more clearance above the roof line to avoid eddies?

1 Like

I thought I had read that 2 feet was good. Anyway I can’t go higher because it could be seen from the street and the HOA would write me up.

Bill McDonald

I think it needs to be around 1.5x the height of the obstruction (so 15ft above a 30ft structure) to be completely clear of the eddies.

But I hear you on the HOA - I just got a letter calling my 10ft PVC pipe in my backyard a “15ft weather tower” that 'violates the deed restriction regarding “rubbish, debris and other unsightly materials.” ’ I told them to get bent until they could provide a legal definition of “unsightly.” I also challenged them to offer a solution other than “remove it.” I hate HOAs with a passion usually reserved for pickles or green peppers.

3 Likes

I hear you. Our HOA contracts a management company to police the community and do financial stuff. Where the WF is situated you can only see it from the side of our backyard and if you stand across the street and look through a tree you can catch a glimpse. I figure the patrol is looking at yards and porches not on the roof.

Bill McDonald

Had my WeatherFlow system for a month now. I used a Schedule 40 PVC 90 Bell End Elbow with conduit clamps but that did not seem secure so I added screws directly through the elbow into the wood.

I regularly get false rain reading when there is a big gust of wind. I assume this means there is still movement or vibration in my mount. Can the bird spikes actually introduce vibrations or do I need to consider a different mounting system?

1 Like

Just installed the solar panel on my Sky.

I was a little skeptical because the solar cell looks like black rubber instead of a glossy glass but I’m getting 3.51 volt.

I have my Sky on a swingdown antenna mount on the edge of roof peak. https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Mount-Adjustable-Universal-Installation/dp/B07PXK78MT

The little wire at the base of the pole has a slipknot that I put over the Sky before I service it to prevent (another) slide down the roof to an unyielding concrete driveway.

2 Likes

My setup

4 Likes

I just installed my sky unit today, with I hope, a more permanent placement. I used some spare wood pieces that I had lying around. I sunk a pressure-treated 4x4 into the ground, and bolted a 10 foot 2x4 onto that, and then used two straps to mount a 1inch dowel for the sky unit. All in all, it is 15 1/2 feet high. I drilled two holes through the 4x4 and 2x4 to be able to use one bolt as a hinge when I want to lower the sky unit for any maintenance, the other bolt locks it into position against the 4x4. I’m hoping that there isn’t a lot of wind loading to break the 2x4 in strong gusts. We will see. I can always cut down the 2x4 to drop the height if it looks like it’s moving too much. Has anyone tried this setup? Any comments?

2 Likes

Secured to the chimney but also offset a couple feet to avoid exhaust interference. Added an ADS-B antenna while I was up there because I’m a dork about more than just weather. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Motorhome Mount

DSC03017

Pole can be slid up to raise the sky if necessary.

Enjoy !!

Dave…

5 Likes

Here’s my Sky installed. Probably should be on a longer pole, but it’s rock solid there so I feel like it is just fine.

20190803_151809 20190803_151653

6 Likes

Air installation, about 8 feet above ground, atop block fence. Huachuca Mountains in the background.

9 Likes

Where did you get the mast stand off that the sky is mounted on?