Option to turn Hub's LED off (was LED brightness in latest firmware)

“In my case and for testing, I have the Hub in an open area where I can early watch it. The light is bright enough that it gets my attention when it changes and I can immediately investigate to see why it changed.”

It’s a power light. Your power goes on and off that often?

It’s a status indicator light. It does so much more than indicate power. And no, the power does not go off often.

Oh cool. What else does it the green light do?

1 Like

What is the firmware version of your Hub?

1 Like

Doh, I know what the light does, just my sarcasm that failed. The point is that on the latest version the darned thing lights up half the room now…up till a few days ago it was perfect.

Now the suggestions are to stick tape on it it - Cute! Or find a location where I can stick it in the cupboard whilst somehow maintaining the range to reach the outdoor unit. :roll_eyes:

Didn’t somebody say if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it? Well yup, was just perfect until the latest “upgrade”.

1 Like

It was broke and that’s why it was changed.

1 Like

Ummmm…:point_down:

Let’s see what the community prefers. I created a poll for owners to answer.

1 Like

Flash it quick enough, and you won’t even be able to see it in a room with the lights on…

1 Like

Then why have it all?

P.S. The thread was all about the fact it now lights up the room at night.

Don’t see any poll link, but I’m not much of a fan of the forums interface here FWIW.

Anyway, my Ubiquiti AC Lite access point has a similarly bright led ring on it. That software has an option to turn the LED off in its configuration. Default is on. Seems like a reasonable thing to ask for here

(can’t speculate how bright you’re describing the LED as being, as I’m in the backlog for getting ‘any’ hardware.)

1 Like

Personally, I think a power light is a basic must for the hub. I don’t really have an opinion on whether a blue LED makes for a better power light than a green LED, so perhaps if the resistor value for the blue LED in the hub is correct, blue could be the “wifi connected, power on” status color, and green could be the “BLE connected, power on” color. But I’m inclined to say that one status light scheme change per hardware version is enough…

I like this idea. And indeed, it’s relatively simple. Although @GaryFunk’s poll shows the “always on” option winning, there’s no reason we can’t have our cake and eat it too. I’ve added “hub LED ‘off’ option” to our roadmap.

6 Likes

the merger between the two is : add a toggle for those needing to turn it off (whatever reason) and set this toggle by default to on

Guess everybody can be happy no :hugs:

1 Like

You know someone will not like having only 2 options :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you! Those of us with early hardware that now have a green living room at night will be grateful. :wink:

Joking aside, there is a general issue with IoT and connected homes where (like many others) I have several hubs/bridges for a variety of devices and they all have LED lights which end up looking like we have year-round Christmas lights. Option to turn off indicator lights will inevitably become the market standard (Unless SmartThings or someone else becomes the big gorilla, but that’s a different discussion).

1 Like

I agree this is a widespread issue, and not just in IoT but in the home electronic gadgetry space in general. Thank you for pushing on it. We wrestled with this from the start, and the solution seems obvious now!

4 Likes

I still would like to see packet transmission blips as an option, if it won’t mess up the transmission timing… :innocent:

1 Like

Like what we see on an Ethernet port.

But some will want one color for received data and one color for transmitted dats.

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Never mind the christmas tree LEDs - I wish they all used a standard size enclosure so I could stack all these various hubs and doo-dahs. I get the desire to stand out from the crowd, but it makes for one hell of a mess! Anyway, I am drifting off-topic, sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes