Offline data storage during internet outages

Hi Max. Sorry for the late reply. This is the same issue I described above: There is a bug with the current firmware (v49) that causes the Hub, under certain conditions to think it’s online when it’s not.

We hope to have a new firmware build released soon to correct this!

2 Likes

@dsj Did this get resolved in the last firmware update, or is it still pending?

My station in Dalyan (5240) lost internet at around 23.15hrs There was also a power outage but this only lasted around an hour. The internet came back up at 16.23hrs today but the hub has only backfilled to 11.40hrs for air and 13.00hrs for sky.

Hi Val. Yes, most of the backfill issues have been resolved but there is at least one case we’re still working on. And your recent experience is a good example of it. You lost power and internet at the same time, internet staying “down” for more than 3 hours.

The Hub needs to know what time it is before it can store data. It sets its clock by either connecting ot the Internet or connecting to the smart weather app running on a phone or tablet. The AIR & SKY will buffer several hours of data - normally enough for the Hub to get its clock set. However, if the Hub goes past this buffer before it’s time gets set, you’ll lose some data. That’s what happened her.

We’re working on a better way for the Hub to keep track of time without an outside reference… it’s trickier than it seems!

4 Likes

Thanks David. This was quite an unusual event, normally the internet would come back at the same time as the power. I intend to install a small UPS for the hub next time I am out there, just waiting for parts to be delivered, so I hope that I will not have the problem again anyway.

Heaven forbid you do that in localtime and have to deal with timezones and daylight savings time transitions…

3 Likes

How is the Hub going to get the Time when it’s on a network not connected to the Internet? This is an issue I wasn’t aware of and is a problem for UDP only stations.

4 Likes
  1. Now: As soon as the Hub connects to the smart weather app running on a phone or tablet, it will set the time
  2. Soon: Rob has a couple tricks to try that will keep the time set correctly on the Hub between power cycles.
4 Likes

In one particular case, I use a Raspberry Pi to capture the UDP data from the Hub.

I now want a method to have the RPi communicate with the Hub to give it the information it needs.

5 Likes

How does your RPi get the correct time?

2 Likes

It listens to NIST in Boulder, Colorado.

1 Like

Wow, you get it from the WVVB radio signal!? That’s cool. If one of Rob’s tricks (#2, above) doesn’t solve this issue, we’ll figure out a way for you to give the Hub the time it needs.

4 Likes

Does the time need to be set correctly vs. true time sources or do you just need some auto-incrementing timestamp ala secs since the unix epoch (regardless of whether it’s accurate or not) that you can use to figure out which stored records need to be replayed ?

If you provided more info on how the Hub gets time now that might help us figure out a way to fake it on a LAN with a local NTP time source or the like and maybe a little DNS magic pointing to a local server, for those folks who want to remain LAN only…

HAM operators have been doing this for long before I was born. Remember, Radio was the original Internet.

4 Likes

Is Rob’s trick going to include honoring the NTP server address provided to the Hub via DHCP option 42 if it is present? My personal Stratum-1 time server is lonely. :slight_smile:

@GaryFunk - FYI, a geeky picture that I snapped while wandering one day:

7 Likes

Yes!

That is something we could add if absolutely necessary. Rob’s trick is simpler. Stay tuned.

It definitely helps the human observer if the time is correct, but you know… it’s all relative :smiley:

2 Likes

When the Bluetooth API is documented, we will be able to set the time as necessary via Bluetooth?

5 Likes

Yes, that will be another option!

4 Likes

I have a nice opportunity to test offline storage today or tomorrow when I take stuff off the air for a bit to rearrange my stack’o raspberry pi into nice new Flirc cases.

I was thinking of just unplugging the WAN side of the switch everything including the wireless access point (and therefore Hub) goes through. The Hub would still be powered up. That would match up with an Internet outage kind of scenario.

Will the Hub broadcast the UDP on the LAN as a playback, or does it just replay to the WF servers only ?

I am pretty sure the back filling will only work to wf servers. UDP is send out and … if it arrives ok, if it is lost, same :slight_smile:
There is no ACK for UDP packages

4 Likes

Of course, coffee hadn’t kicked in. I’ll power the Hub off just for the adventure of watching what it does.

1 Like