Notifications / notices for critical situations

Hello to all users. I was thinking of a new feature that could be implemented. I have seen that the weatherflow will implement the value of the wet bulb globe temperature, currently in the test version, from what I have read it turns out to be a very important parameter from the point of view of the tolerance that the human body can tolerate in different atmospheric conditions.

I am referring to this definition of NOAA:
The WetBulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) is a measure of thermal stress in direct sunlight, which takes into account: temperature, humidity, wind speed, solar cover and cloud cover (solar radiation). This differs from the heat index, which takes into account temperature and humidity and is calculated for shady areas. If you work or train in direct sunlight, this is a good thing to monitor.

I was thinking about the fact that perhaps notifications could be set that, based on this temperature (or other parameters), warn the user of critical weather conditions for the human body or for normal human life. Same thing could also be done with regard to the Wind chill and the heat index, but I assume that the WBGT summarizes all these parameters. You could also set up warnings for HIGH UV Index, or for wind above a certain threshold, very heavy rainfall, and so on.

According to a personal idea, but I believe it can be shared, the weather station must not be used only to detect data but having the data available, you can try to inform the user and advise him avoiding potential critical situations that could possibly occur.

For example, data could be extrapolated from the attached table that could possibly be reported in the notification of the species:
WARNING, 90 ° F WTGB, BEING OPERATING UNDER LIVE ONLY FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES CAN STRESS YOUR BODY (for example).

If you like the idea and find it useful, please LIKE the post. Thank you have a nice day.

3 Likes

I added this to https://github.com/briis/hass-weatherflow2mqtt. There are approximations done since the Tempest does not have all the required sensors, but you can pull my equations out if you want. Or if you use Home Assistant, then I would use this package to give you more. I even have a canvas gauge background for it https://github.com/GlennGoddard/CanvasGaugeBackgrounds

1 Like

Really nice, complements. But I don’t use GitHub or Google home at the moment, I use Amazon Alexa but in Italy it still doesn’t support the tempest station or weatherflow in general.

However, for those who do not use these ancillary sites it would be useful if the weatherflow implemented this on the site of the station and / or app. This is also to simplify use for the user as much as possible.

Note that GitHub is not the same thing as Google Home, or Alexa, for that matter. GitHub is where you can see and share code and such.

1 Like