New owner- Pro & con observations

Hi @vidguy7,

Here are links to the topics that discuss your questions:

I have not witnessed or read about anyone having a delay with their pressure reading. But I believe it does adjust itself to your local area so it may have been calibrating itself.

Many questions and answers have been discussed in this forum with no easy way to find a complete FAQ. Because this station is continually evolving and changing, even your own station will be automatically updated and calibrations will change and you wouldnt know it unless you read it here somewhere. I use the search bar a lot to find things out.

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gizmoev, in the case you cite, the issue seems to be less with the flat area under the sensors as opposed to water collection on the sensors themselves. I wonder if that was the causative factor in my increased wind velocities as I rotated the Sky unitā€™s mounting. I looked at the flat area and it was clean (I had previously cleaned it), but I didnā€™t focus on the sensors themselves. I wonder how the pricey units deal with this?

It would seem that no matter how slick the flat area is, unless something is changed to the sensors themselves, the example you gave will continue.

Ian, thanks much. I have tried using the search tool, but it often didnā€™t come up with the answers. Iā€™ll definitely dig into your links.

1 Like

Welcome @vidguy7 . Great to have another met / scientist aboard. Youā€™re in very good and helpful company here with the other owners. A few observation which may or may not have been addressed:

1. when viewing graphs, make sure to zoom into the 1min resolution to see the finest data. See Data archive buckets explained.

2. Rotate your phone to landscape when viewing graphs. :wink:

3. Your observed issue with wind spikes during rain events is due to drops in the sonic path. We are experimenting with various coatings. So far the super hydrophobic nano-particle varieties are performing the best. Many of the pricey sonic anemometers use similar. Weā€™ll solve it, have patience.

4. To ensure data integrity across the entire network, we believe in in-situ calibration and ongoing dynamic QC. To that end, we have/are deploying a Continuous Learning (CL) system for various parameters. In short, we compare data from your station to reference data sources in your immediate area and apply daily calibrations when warranted. For example see CL for Humidity explained As of 23 Jan, your station has received an initial calibration for Humidity on 23Jan. The system is still collecting and certifying comparison data for Pressure, UV, and Rain before initial corrections are applied.

Weā€™re glad you found us. Welcome.

1 Like

PS - Make sure to read this regarding wind : initial sensor balance routinesā€¦which would explain your rotation on the pole description. SKY: wind sensor initial self balancing

Thanks much for this info, you guys are great!

Ken Ross

516-984-0984

1 Like

WF staff, is there a set time of day that calibrations are applied, if necessary?

Thanks

Ken

It varies dependent on run times, comparison data availability, modeling, etc, etc. Humidity, Pressure, and UV are now run daily. Rain will likely run hourly in CONUS to start. After the first couple calibrations, the subsequent tweaks become more and more subtle.

1 Like

I have noticed similar behavior with the graphs but found that at least sometimes it seems to be a function of granularity. Some of the numbers change significantly when you zoom in or zoom out in the graph. As I zoom in deeper, the graph gets ever closer to the raw numbers.

Is there a way to hide the lightning card? I did a search and canā€™t find anything on that. Is it only the battery & forecast cards that have that ability?

Nope there is no way to hide the lightning card. You can disable the lightning notifications though.

Peter, thanks. Yes, I had already disabled those. As a 2nd best approach, I moved the lightning cards to the bottom.

2 Likes