New app design 2020

To me the new app looks almost as if weatherflow had to lay off their gui designer. Even though there is a lot more info on the main screen (which I like) it looks a bit messy and probably not as nice and cool as it could have looked. Too many different font sizes.
On the top you get info about ‘olar radiation’ (the S is missing) and gusting wind, but no barometric value or trend, which is probably more relevant then solar radiation or gusting wind. And what about the rain? I would move the solar radiation and gusting values to the section of ‘more current conditions’. Speaking of which, I would prefer that section removed and instead pop up when clicking anywhere in the top part of the main screen, of perhaps when swiping left/or right. Swiping would be nice, left for the detailed panel and right for the old interface (clean up the new interface by removing that icon in the top right)

As you can see in the picture of the 10 day forecast, Wednesday, 20 may 2020 already collides with 0% rain. It would be worse for 10% rain and probably even worse for months with names longer than three characters. Perhaps remove the descriptive text of the sky (cloudy, partly cloudy etc) completely as this info is already shown in the icons on the right, and replace that text with the date. Removing the year from the date might also help.

Also if you zoom in enough on the picture you can see as small vertical line which I added to the picture to show the misalignment of icons. Not only the icons but also the rain and temperatures appear misaligned. Temperature is a weird mixture of aligning right for the max temp and aligning left, to the beginning of the max temp. Messy.
In the top of the main window you might starting to wonder why there is an up arrow to the left of the max temperature, but it is to the right of the min temperature.

There is some duplication going on as today’s hourly info is exactly the same info as opening up the 10 day forecast. I would remove the today’s version and instead just remember the last state of the interface. So when someone opened up the first day of the 10 day forecast, it would show opened up the next time the app is started.

It is probably also a good idea to remember the last selected interface the old one or the new one and automatically jump to that page when the app is started.

I was really, really hoping for a better graphing system. There are so many things that could have improved there. Free zoom and pan, way more data points on screen than the current 32 etc etc.

hope this is useful info.

edit:
One extra problem as the main screen is a confusing mixture from measured data and predicted data:

It displays a partly cloudy icon behind the measured 12 degree. This icon is however not measured in any way. It shouldn’t be there, nor should the text partly cloudy be there. Let’s keep prediction separate from measured. (tiny side note. the prediction is off by 2 degrees, quite a lot if you ask me and the 12 degree is the same as the official local weather station. Wouldn’t it be kind of good if the prediction was dynamically adapted to the measured values?)

edit:
comparing with other software it seems that the sunset/sunrise times are taken from the previous day @dsj

2 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bugs : tempest weather app