Lost connection with Sky

I have lost connection with the sky module in the past day, it seems to happen when it is dark, it was fine during the day. I have it using the solar panel, but it has been cloudy lately. Could it not be getting enough power?

Hi @sarakmiles, I can not look up your station behaviour because I do not know where to look. If you follow the advice from this attached link we could look up the voltage of your Sky to answer your question.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

Station info added.

I’m thinking it might actually be an issue with either the hub or my WiFi because now both devices are disconnecting.

Hi @sarakmiles,
Thanks for adding your link. :slight_smile:
Your status page is here:
https://tempestwx.com/settings/station/18083/status
and it shows:

You can use your App settings to select to display your battery voltage for both your Sky and Air so that you (and us volunteers) could then view as a graph to help find the issue.
The last reading of 2.11 volts is very near to where it would cut out around 2 Volts.
You might be correct in thinking that it is a shade issue but it can also be a solar panel accessory issue or:
as you noticed your Air is now loosing data too.
And your Air voltage appears fine at 2.98V.
So it might be your hub?
Try resetting your hub and your wifi in case it helps.
I suggest that you log a support call because they can see all your information and know where the problem is.

I reconnected the WiFi and so far it seems ok.

1 Like

The direct link to your station is https://tempestwx.com/station/18083/ so you don’t have to go through the map. You can also just tap the share icon in the app or web page of your station to get the link.

If you go to Settings, Stations, station name, Advanced you can click on Show Battery Card so we can view the graph of voltage as @iladyman suggested.

1 Like

Hi @sarakmiles,

This is the chart of your battery voltage. You can zoom in and out and slide it sideways to see the changing voltage. There was something going wrong, but it has picked up again.
https://tempestwx.com/station/18083/graph/62467/battery/4

Hi @sarakmiles
I wonder if the rain on 8th Sept has entered your solar accessory and began flooding the battery compartment. That is when the charging reduced having peaks during the day. If it is easy to take it down you might see if there is water inside the SPA (Solar Power Accessory) I guess that might be the problem. And if it is the problem then Support will likely send you a new SPA.

Thanks for looking into that. It did start working again yesterday, so?? It might be a little difficult to check the module since it’s on a tall pole on top of my garage, but I’ll see what we can do.

I just checked my personal weather record from Sept. 8th. We had a big windstorm that day so that might have something to do with it. Maybe the module was damaged? Again I’ll see what I can do about physically examining it.

Ok… upon physical examination of Sky there is no water in the battery compartment and no signs of any damage.

1 Like

What about inside the SPA? Do you have one of the first ones sent out or a later one? The later ones have a drain hole in the housing under the solar panel. Right now it looks like it is barely charging.

1 Like

Solar Panel Assembly? I don’t recall seeing any drainage holes. (It’s back up on top of the garage.)

Then you may have one which did get water inside it. One way to test it is to put regular batteries in the SKY without the SPA attached. If everything works fine that way then the issue might be the SPA.