Lightning Detection - report direction heading

It would be great to not only report lightning distance but also a direction heading. That way users could know which direction the lightning is coming from and also - if relevant, be able to decipher if there are multiple storm cells in the vacinity.

Sorry, but the device doesn’t measure the direction.

1 Like

I was told by support that a direction reading is beyond the device capabilities however direction heading is something that might be achievable using other means. They suggested I post the idea here to see if it gains some traction.

You could always look at Blitzortung.org - Live Lightning Map. Without that kind of data it is pretty hard to determine if there are multiple storms in your vicinity.

3 Likes

Aren’t you able to triangulate that from other Weatherflow user’s stations in the area? I agree that having the heading would be beneficial. I realize there are other ways to see where the strikes are, but my preference would be to not have to always go to application specific apps to view things.

2 Likes

if you have a thunderstorm with a single stroke, yes triangulation could be done. But with active storms, the device only reports the nearest strikes, which might not be the same as seen by different stations. The distance is also pretty inaccurate, which makes it hard to do good triangulation.

If we had a radar feed on app it would be fairly easy and obvious!

1 Like

Personally, I just compare what my Tempest gives me for distance and correlate that with radar imagery. It’s not terribly difficult to figure out.

1 Like