July 2021: Tempest App Updates

What @sunny said. I see the screenshots all the time or look at other stations around and see it on their grid. I purchased mine in June yet do not get the same feature set as someone a month prior to me even though I paid the same price for the device. Plus, I have a bookmark to my station grid to see current conditions but if I want to see a basic forecast I have to go to another page. Much more user friendly/usable to leave it as an option for everyone to turn on or off as they see fit.

2 Likes

Along the lines of weather forecast, what is the likely-hood of getting a widget for Android to display the weather forecast. I like the WeatherFlow forecast and would like the shear ease of just having the forecast on my main screen.

@sunny and @chants92 As the Tempest app has evolved and grown to include more forecast data, a decision was made that the best display of forecast data is on our main forecast page. We left the forecast card on the Station Dashboard as a courtesy to our existing users

If you would like to see the forecast card brought back to the app, please create a feature request in the Feature Request category. That is the best way to group everyone’s feedback and gauge the interest levels of all Tempest users.

2 Likes

@glenngoddard An Android forecast widget is on the roadmap. I can’t give the timing on when it will be released, but it is part of the plan for the app.

1 Like

If we direct people that want it anyway to support, would those requests be honored?

it’s kind of pointless, as many (most??) people ran out of votes. Once people have used their votes, it isn’t very likely that they are going to remove votes from one feature to use it on another feature. There are plenty of good ideas I would vote for (and even more I wouldn’t), but I can’t.

1 Like
3 Likes

In case you haven’t figured out the correlation yet, the number of votes is probably equal to the number of programmers working for WF. The idea of votes is to prioritize the MOST important features to each person, not build a wishlist to clutter the apps with stuff that is better handled in third-party apps…

1 Like

It only works like that if you, and all other users would redistribute their votes over all the available features. It currently gives a very skewed result. Yes you could say I give votes to the features I find the MOST important, but that is different that just counting the votes in the and and judging what is the most popular feature. Most popular is not the same as most important.
For new feature requests it will be very hard to get votes, unless you expect all users to redistribute their votes every time a new feature request is made. Fact is I don’t even remember which features I voted for (probably some or all are my own requests).
Finding in a fair, unskewed way what is the most popular feature has nothing to do with a wishlist that clutters the app. After all, the team doesn’t HAVE to work on the most popular feature. Actually I expect them to mostly follow their own roadmap and only slightly adjust it based on the feature requests.

If you want to find out what is the most important item, the system should allow us to rate each feature (5 star system, thumbs up/down etc). Then the team could work on the most popular 5 star feature.

2 Likes

Hi there. Want to report a bug where when you tap on a day’s forecast, the hourly forecast doesn’t show up.

Hi @elibraywx. Thanks for the report! We are looking into it.

We’ve had a few storms roll through our area this past week and I, too, seem to have noticed that since the most recent update the lightning detector is way underreporting what we are observing (using iOS app for viewing) and the response time from detection to report seems to be slow too. I have seen instances where it either didn’t report detected lightning to maybe reporting a detection 15-20 minutes later. Before, the app would report lightning detection within seconds of a strike. Not sure what is going on here.

@palmhead5 and @pddraheim We pushed an API update today (July 30, 2021) at 2pm ET that addresses the lightning count issue. Let me know if you continue to see strike count issues after 2pm ET.

Thank you for the report @pddraheim When you say report are you referring to a push notification or seeing the lightning value update on the forecast view or the station dashboard view or the lightning graph?

I have push notifications turned off for lightning, so I don’t know about that. It was the value update on the forecast view, the station dashboard, and when trying to view the graph.

Meanwhile, I will keep an eye out the next time a storm comes through. Thanks for the quick response.

Thanks for the extra info @pddraheim. That’s helpful for us to narrow in on things. Based on your description, the fix we pushed this afternoon should fix things for you. Keep me posted.

1 Like

It seems that some don’t know that the detection of lightening is by spherics (for atmospheric?) which is electromagnetic propagation – like radio. Thunder is sound of the lightning direct from the strike to the ear or indirect, bouncing in and between cloud towers. Sperics can be located by dispersed sensor to “triangulate” a (flackey, sometimes) origin and radio sensitivity varies and distance can be a crude measurement. Sound is not as easily sourced.

OK, you want to get technical.
As our weather alert was going off, we were under a severe lightning storm. Most strikes were CG, and happening within 10 miles as very visible bolts. True visibility was limited to maybe 3000ft due to heavy rains, but not the bolts. Setting off about 10-50 seconds between strikes.
To make this statement that some don’t know is not needed.

No major additions to the Tempest IOS app for a few weeks. Anything exciting coming down the pike?

A post was split to a new topic: [app] option to change colours of the graph