Hello all. Semi-pro weather observer here with all kinds of weather equipment over the years. Also have prior programming experience and am sensitive to software “bugs”. I’ve had my new Tempest up and running since June 1st. I have installed the iOS Tempest weather app on both my iPhone 8+ and iPad mini v.2. iPhone is running iOS 13.4.1. iPad is running iOS 9.3.5. Weather app on both devices is most recent version, downloaded from App Store to both devices on 6/1/2020.
After getting to know the program over several days and carefully watching how the data displayed and updated on the screen(s), I began to notice that the roughly 3-second live wind updates would work for 30 seconds and then stop working for the next 30 seconds. When the live data stopped, the wind direction and speed would match the values of the 1-minute average wind and would remain frozen for the next 30 seconds until the new 1-minute average update took place. I was able to determine that the app was actually “aware” of the changing live readings because whenever the peak gust occurred during the non-live period, the value would be displayed properly in the max gust field when the next 30-second live period began and the new 1-minute average values updated on the screen. I am also running on a separate PC the Weather Display program connected to my Tempest. When the live wind data ceases on both iOS devices, it still continues to update every 3 seconds in the Weather Display program.
One other fascinating observation I found was that this bug temporarily stops, and live data updating all 60 seconds every minute continues whenever there is active lightning detection in progress! As long as lightning is being detected the bug stops. However, after lightning detection ends (I don’t know exactly how many minutes after the last detected strike, but no more than 1 hour later) the bug returns and the 30-seconds on, 30-seconds off cycle reappears.
Finally, I am making the presumption this behavior is a bug because if I view the live data from my web browser, the data from the wind remains live with continuous 3-second updates throughout all 60 seconds.
I don’t have an android device to test the app out on to see if there is similar behavior. However, I can confirm that it does occur on different iOS devices. Thanks for your help in reviewing this and hopefully fixing it so the wind data is always live all the time.