Interested in WF but unsure of purchase

after looking over the thread for the WeatherFlow PiConsole that looks a lot more like what I am looking for, it has been fun looking though that from start to where I am now and see how it has progressed. It looks like with the screen, Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Motherboard, and case adds about $133 to the overall cost, so a little more than I was wanting to spend on a new weather station but it looks like a fun project.

Do you have a tablet sitting around that isn’t being used everyday? ArchiveSW not only stores all the data but has a HTML display which allows it to be viewed on several devices. This will help you get started at a lower cost. Then you can take your time buying the additional components to move to the PiConsole.

By-the-way, Peter and I help support each other so our only goal is to help owners of the hardware. Each of us will gladly assist you with our products.

1 Like

does it need to be an android tablet?

No. Any device capable of running a modern browser.

I see I am looking at the topic for that now, so you just turn the RPi into a wifi access point and connect your HUB to it then you can access the info through a web browser?

Yes, but it’s not necessary to make the RPi an access point. That was done for those that want a Mobile weather station or want to run the Hub and RPi on a small battery backup unit.

Weather Flow ordered, now to figure out a mounting solution.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your purchase.

After you get it setup. please feel free to tell us about your experience. And remember we are here to offer help.

5 Likes

There are many inexpensive options and a thread offering many solutions. One of the least expensive is a 10’6" chain-link fence top rail, usually about $9 at a home store. The tapered end fits the Sky mount perfectly.

read https://community.tempest.earth/t/attaching-pole-to-4x4-wood-post/ - the 10.5’ fence top post is great attached to a 4x4 post using conduit hangers that are easy to attach. Nice cheap+solid setup that is a one-man job to put up. I had a photo of the conduit hangers I used very close to the top of the thread.

Like your idea alot. Keep us posted on how you use it

Ok got my My weather flow equipment in, looking for a good place to install the Air. The pic is the best place I have found so far. It is in our entryway. Would this be open enough for the Air?

If it’s low enough and you get air circulation.

That is kinda the same install location I’ve used for my AIR… I’m fieldtester, so it’s been there for quite a while… with no issues.

Man that was a fast shipment. I remember the good old days of waiting for them to be built.

1 Like

I use a fence pole stuck in a five gallon bucket of cement. Works great and If I need I can move it around.

1 Like

I havethe same location up under my pavillion in the back yard. Works great.

2 Likes

thanks for the replies, I have the Sky on a 10’ fence pole as suggested attached to a 4x4 post that is part of my privacy fence. Waiting for the mount to get the Air mounted probably in the place I indicated on the pic. Will try it there and see how things go as I don’t really have another option that is out of the sun without getting some type of shield to put over it. Yes the shipping was very quick, very impressed with everything to do with WeatherFlow at this point.

image image image

Here is my Sky installed

11 Likes

If anything wind recording should by all accounts be more reactive and far more accurate than cups.

Afterall reads winds where the cups cannot read them. Take a certian ammount of wind just to get thr cups moving and in time bearing wear and tire will effect wind accuracy.

What I have read is due to wind sensitivity being far more than cups the WF is more prone to wind bouncing off objects maybe the issue.

As far as wind revording goes it should do better than using cups and maybe why people are revording a higher wind value as this will be picking up winds to the 10/1 of 1 mph whereas cups maybe limited to a mini of 1 mph or slightly more before cups are turning.

I think to measure wind WF is the future and a far more accurate way to measure wind over cups anyday.