IFTTT support for device battery voltage

IFTTT support for device battery voltage

2 Likes

Would like to see the addition of battery voltage for any/all devices at a station as an IFTTT trigger. For example . . . I would like to configure an IFTTT applet to trigger an action (such as an e-mail or SMS message) when SKY voltage drops below a user-specified threshhold so that a station owner can plan a battery replacement trip to the roof for a day that is convenient (and good weather, too). Also useful for AIR when installed in a remote sensing location.

This would be almost exactly the same function as the current WeatherFlow IFTTT service for temperature threshold where there is a scrollable list of stations and devices to pick from . . . except for battery voltage instead of temperature.

Until a solar panel option is available, this IFTTT function would be a big help for owners who may have several stations where they accumulate data but don’t necessarily look at the stations all day on the app or the Web.

3 Likes

I could add this to my software (I already have that available for other hardware)

2 Likes

I added two alerts. One for “Low Battery” and one for “Replace Battery” which go with “No Responce” for each device.

2 Likes

Q
what is a low battery reading

2 Likes

This is the code I use.

if (Type == 'SK') {
		if (V > 2.4) {
			return 'Good';
		} else if (V > 2.1) {
			return 'Low';
		} else {
			return 'Replace';
		}
	} else if (Type == 'AR') {
		if (V > 2.7) {
			return 'Good';
		} else if (V > 2.4) {
			return 'Low';
		} else {
			return 'Replace';
		}
	}
3 Likes

is that based on something official ?
(e.g using 2.1 as a threshold for the SKY)

2 Likes

Those low voltage numbers are as official as they will be until we get more data!

2 Likes

I made them up based on hours of testing. Two of the numbers came from WeatherFlow.

I did it this way to give RTI customers time to call their installer and give others time to go buy batteries.

1 Like

Thanks to all who replied to this topic.

My thought when I opened it was that, in addition to the battery change alerts for the WeatherFlow devices, I could see various other uses where an owner might want to turn on (or off) certain heaters or coolers at different temperatures. Like a frost prevention heater at “getting close to freezing” and then a “big honkin’ heater” when the temperature goes considerably below freezing (eg: stage 1: keep the livestock water tank from freezing and stage 2: put more heat in the barn for the livestock). Hence, the idea that a user-configurable IFTTT might help do all of that.

2 Likes

Dan, that’s exactly what I do with RTI XP controller and the UDI ISY. The ISY controls Insteon and Z-Wave devices. The RTI is used to control all IP devices. Each of the two controllers does what it does best.

The RTI acts as a self-contained nodeserver to the ISY and both units interact with the other.

1 Like

Very cool Gary! I certainly need to learn a bit more about those controllers as I have a consulting project coming up which involves a very large greenhouse operation (and a 500kW generator system, too). The project would typically call for PLCs but they are really overkill in both price and capability for this one. I am thinking of how to incorporate WeatherFlow devices which might save the client tens of thousands of bucks!

2 Likes