Identify my IP and/or MAC Address

…and also have an option to blink the LED on the BLE-connected Hub device for identification purposes.

There has already been more than one incident where there was more than one Hub in the BLE airspace and a phone was connecting to the wrong one…

2 Likes

And maybe the IP address should be shown, too. Possibly in the Web app when you click on the “online” tag to see the rest of the device status info.

2 Likes

Just as you suggested two months ago.

2 Likes

At a certain age . . . a person apparently cannot remember what they wrote (or said) two months ago . . . or sometimes even two minutes ago (I plead guilty on that one). Thanks for reminding me about it.

3 Likes

The private IP Adresse should only be shown locally, meens via Bluetooth connection. It is, in fact, a security issue not to populate the local network configuration or parts to the world wide public.
Just think a little to the already startet futur of IPv6 … No NAT … direct access to each device only secured by the firewall in the router (and the awareness and knowledge of the user).

1 Like

Given the amount of times that I find myself repeating instructions at work, I’d say that the age in question is 23 or so…

4 Likes

Displaying the MAC & IP address in the apps via local connection (BLE) is on our feature backlog.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting this d.dlane. Very helpful! I found the hub on my router and network very easily.

I was looking for the MAC and IP address of the hub in the app and as of this writing it is not shown there.

Thanks to your tidbit, I was able to find the info in my router (and renamed it appropriately for future reference).

It looks like this started as a topic in 2018, and comment in the same year that it was put in the backlog for the app.

Any updates? Is there somewhere hidden in the app that I missed to get the hub MAC address? Checking in my router is a non-starter with over 50 active devices in the mix. Perhaps WeatherFlow can post the chipset manufacturer so I can narrow it down that way?

It has not been integrated so don’t go fiddling all the menu’s :sunglasses:

Just an option I use, I make a little vlan where I just add the device the time to grab the mac address, once I have I migrate it to the vlan where I want it to be. Remember mac filtering isn’t very secure as only measure agains hacking :wink:

some hubs start with
b0:38
c0:ee

there are different generation hubs though externally you don’t see the difference. Hence there might be other variants.

Run a sniffer when you plug it in. You should see the DHCP request.