I created a Homebridge Plugin so you didn't have to

I noticed the lack of HomeKit support and was surprised to see no one had put together a Homebridge plugin yet. I took the liberty and put one together for everyone to use. Now you can make Apple Home automations based on some of your Tempest sensor readings.

It’s currently limited to a Temperature Sensor, Light Sensor and Fan (used to mock wind speed). It allows for flexibly for what temperature and wind speed readings you’d like to target.

Enjoy!

9 Likes

I updated it to also include a Humidity Sensor. homebridge-weatherflow-tempest - npm

Enjoy!

1 Like

Plugin is now officially Homebridge Verified. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Nicely done! We were just re-exploring creating a HomeBridge plug-in this week! (separate from our effort to build native HomeKit integration into the ProHub) Can’t wait to check yours out!

1 Like

Thanks @dsj! Let me know if you or your team have any ideas or if any of your Engineers would like to collaborate? Thanks!

2 Likes

After updating to the latest version, I’m getting the following errors:

[5/20/2023, 12:20:04 PM] [WeatherFlow Tempest Platform] Adding new accessory: undefined
[5/20/2023, 12:20:04 PM] [WeatherFlow Tempest Platform] AssertionError [ERR_ASSERTION]: Accessories must be created with a non-empty displayName.
at new Accessory (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/node_modules/hap-nodejs/src/lib/Accessory.ts:491:11)
at new PlatformAccessory (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/src/platformAccessory.ts:71:9)
at WeatherFlowTempestPlatform.initAccessory (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge-weatherflow-tempest/src/platform.ts:266:25)
at WeatherFlowTempestPlatform.discoverDevices (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge-weatherflow-tempest/src/platform.ts:210:14)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge-weatherflow-tempest/src/platform.ts:95:16
at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5) {
generatedMessage: false,
code: ‘ERR_ASSERTION’,
actual: undefined,
expected: true,
operator: ‘==’
}

I have installed and reinstalled. Updated the settings. I’m not sure what I have done wrong.

Hi!

I’m sorry to hear you are having an issue.

The new 3.0.0 release is not backwards compatible and in most cases will require you to delete all your accessories and restart OR directly edit the Homebridge configuration JSON file.

Please share your configuration JSON file for the Weatherflow Platform and please redact any sensitive information.

Additionally you can report the issue and your config here: Issues · chasenicholl/homebridge-weatherflow-tempest · GitHub

Thank you!

I deleted the weather flow plugin and reinstalled because of it not being backwards compatible, but it didn’t seem to help.

Here is my configuration JSON file:
{
“name”: “WeatherFlow Tempest Platform”,
“token”: “hidden,
“station_id”: hidden,
“interval”: 10,
“units”: “Standard”,
“sensors”: [
{
“sensor_type”: “Temperature Sensor”,
“temperature_properties”: {
“value_key”: “air_temperature”
}
},
{
“sensor_type”: “Humidity Sensor”,
“humidity_properties”: {
“value_key”: “relative_humidity”
}
}
],
“platform”: “WeatherFlowTempest”
}

Hi @lauraf13 you are missing the “name” property. For your two Accessories you need to add a “name”: “” above each Sensor Type.

For example.

{
    "name": "WeatherFlow Tempest Platform",
    "token": "hidden",
    "station_id": hidden,   
    "interval": 10,
    "units": "Standard",
    "sensors": [
        {
            "name": "Outside Temperature",
            "sensor_type": "Temperature Sensor",
            "temperature_properties": {
                "value_key": "air_temperature"
            }
        },
        {
            "name": "Outside Humidity",
            "sensor_type": "Humidity Sensor",
            "humidity_properties": {
                "value_key": "relative_humidity"
            }
        }
    ],
    "platform": "WeatherFlowTempest"
}

Please let me know if that resolves your issue? Thank you.

Yes, that fixed my issue. Thanks for your help.

Additionally for anyone else who runs into this. We just released a 3.0.1 patch that should prevent this happening to others. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for this plugin! It works well but is not integrated as deeply into HomeKit as I’d like :innocent:

I found GitHub - naofireblade/homebridge-weather-plus: A comprehensive weather plugin for homebridge. and saw that somebody was working on a PR that added local Tempest Weatherflow support … and I reviewed it and helped convince the maintainers to merge it. That Homebridge plugin supports multiple weather services, has been around for a very long time and has hence had the opportunity to mature much more.

Tempest Weatherflow support has been available in the 3.3.0 release since a month and works very well — give it a try: Release 3.3.0 · naofireblade/homebridge-weather-plus · GitHub :blush:

Much more detail, much more control, but you will need to use the Eve, Home+ or Controller app to set up automations using it. If you don’t want that, if you specifically only want to use Apple’s default Home app, then this plugin is possibly preferable.

I’m curious if the author of this plugin sees opportunities to improve things in that plugin so we could join forces? :crossed_fingers:

(I just figured it’d have been much more effort to figure out all the details that other plugin has figured out over the course of the last seven :open_mouth: years and port that into this plugin than it was to add support for Tempest Weatherflow. There’s only so much free time we all have, so reducing the collective effort to maintain this is rather important to ensure long-term supportability!)

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’d be happy to contribute to the homebridge-weather-plus plugin (I use it myself :grinning:). However, I do intend to continue supporting my very lightweight and single focus plugin for WeatherFlow Tempest. We are also about to release local API support! Thanks.

1 Like