HUB Went offline

No change in the WiFi networks - I am using two different WiFi networks within the house/office, each WiFi network with its own name, each WiFi network being used for specific duties (one WiFi network used only for the PCs and one WiFi network used for everything else, including the phones, tablets, hubs, IoT, etc.).

A different name is also being used for each routers’ frequencies.

The guest settings on both routers have been deactivated.

After the reset ou did try to add the hub again in network via a phone/tablet ???

1 Like

I cannot add the hub to the WiFi network as neither my phone nor my tablet can communicate with the hub. The WeatherFlow app (on both the phone and the tablet) displays the following message: “Hub not connected. Make sure HUB has power and is within 10 feet. You may need to restart the app, or cycle the power on your HUB.”.

Note: Just in case you are tempted to ask, no, I do not have both the phone and the tablet on at the same time - I use (switch on/off) either one or the other but not both at the same time… :wink:

Note 2: Just in case you are tempted to ask, both the phone and the tablet have Bluetooth LE connectivity - both the phone and the tablet were able to connect to and interact with the hub before yesterday… :wink:

Hi Ray,

Is the led turning blue or red after connecting it to power? The led should turn on within one minute. Have you tried a different usb cable and power supply?

Thanks,
-Rob

Rob, as I wrote above, when I plug in the power supply, the LED flashes red for less than a second and then changes to blue.

I have tried 3 different 5 volts power supplies with different amperage (wattage) and different power cables (ie: USB to micro USB power cables).

I have rebooted twice the router where the hub is to connect to - it is a Cisco/Linksys WRT1900AC AC1900 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router.

I have tried (twice) using the reset button at the back of the hub. The second trial, I held the button for about 5 seconds until the LED started to flash green.

What I would like to try is resetting the hub to its original settings - e: the original default settings that forced me to use the WeatherFlow app to identify the hub and eventually get the hub connected to the WiFi network to communicate (upload) its data to the WeatherFlow database.

Sounds like your hub has died. Please contact support https://help.weatherflow.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and tell them I said you’ll need a new hub. We’ll mail a new one out to you.

Sorry about that,
-Rob

1 Like

Rob, earlier, I sent a message to support - I have received a confirmation that the message had been received.

I just sent an other message using the web page link you have provided above.

Just curious…

Are there other tests I can performed to restart the hub?

Can the hub be ‘forced’ reset to its original (ie: new) settings? If there is such a possibility, I would like to try that procedure before declaring that my hub has ‘passed away’.

By the way, thank you (and all the other Community members) for your assistance in trying to ‘revive’ my hub.

No, the fact that the LED immediately turns blue indicates that there may be a hardware fault. I suspect there’s an issue with the internal power regulator. Maybe a capacitor went bad or a power surge damaged the regulator.

-Rob

2 Likes

All the devices in my home/office (including the modem, the routers, the personal computers, the hubs, the IoTs, etc.) are all connected to a UPS with ‘Pure Sinewave’ technology (that generates energy that is identical to or cleaner than the utility company’s power grid, with low total harmonic distortion, minimal electrical noise, and optimal line clarity) and Boost/Buck topology (that both increases low voltages and decreases high voltages to deliver a more stable signal to connected equipment) <- from the technical specifications of the UPS. Thus, there is a very low risk of power surges to my home/office devices…

Except that in my case the hub was still reporting via Wi-Fi. The blue light with my hub might be a different issue than what @ray is experiencing, however. My hub clearly quit communicating with the two sensors not WF. The errors I received were identical to when removing the batteries from a sensor.

I had the experience of both, not with a Hub but with different electronics:

• capacitors dieing after a short time of use, caused just by production faults
  • power surges on the secondary side of a power supply as within some part, i.e. a capacitor :wink:, died. Especially the nowadays used switching power supplies may cause surges when they get some problems.

@ray, perhaps not exactly the same situation but I found out that one two occasions already it wouldn’t connect unless I turned 5ghz WiFi on my router temporarily off. I’m not sure what causes it. Does it hub secretly have a 5gHz antenna ascwell? I don’t know but you might give it a try.

But after trying with 3 different 5 volts power supply, 2 of them new, and all 3 able to run other hubs and other devices without problem, there has/had to be something wrong with the hub… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Needless to try shutting down temporarily the 5 GHz band of my router … the WeatherFlow app on either the Android phone or the Android tablet cannot see the hub using Bluetooth LE … I get the message “Hub not connected” on both the Android phone or the Android tablet - the option to select a WiFi network is not even available.

Actually , I have seen this happen but had the web portal open, I assumed the same but no loss of data. I have a quite few BLE devices and connecting and disconnecting them returned the hub status to steady green, at no time while I had the blue BLE indicator did I lose live or archived data.
I saw the hub showing blue led while I changed a BLE solenoid irrigation smart valve program, played music to a soundbar, and connected and used a BLE sony headset on the same phone that was connected to the hub.
Now the hub is connected to a meteobridge unit for power and seems to be more stable, has me a little confused as well :slight_smile:
As well my phone will not actually connect via BLE to the hub anymore (to change settings) making this stranger and stranger.
To be clear as well, my phone did not have cellular data turned on the whole time the hub light showed blue so the phone could not have transmitted to the network :thinking:

1 Like

I never said, there is no problem with your Hub, in contrast I think there is one.
I only pointed out, different possibilities for causing surges…

@dsfg, as indicated in a message posted above by @rderr, there appears to be a problem with the hub.

As I have written in previous messages, I have tried almost everything, short of opening the WeatherFlow hub, including using other power supplies, using other USB to micro USB cables, etc. All my personal computers and all my IoT devices (including the WeatherFlow hub) are on a well regulated UPS (constant voltage with surges and brownout filtering), thus the risk of power surges to all that equipment is quite minimal.

As you indicated in your message, a faulty capacitor or even a faulty power regulator is probably the cause of the ‘demise’ of the WeatherFlow hub. :disappointed:

I spotted that the green light was off on my hub the other day, but data was still being uploaded. It came back after I unplugged it for 30 seconds and then plugged it back in. Not sure what that was about?!

I got the wrong ideal here. It is the Sky and Air unit keeps getting offline to the Hub.

We had a serious supercell move over us yesterday and I waited till the AIR lightning sensor showed us that the storm front was pretty close- and I disconnected. I was migrating the hub and meteobridge to a Belkin powerboard- had to cut the power and the HUB was a bugger to get reconnected with wifi,
I like that that the sensors fed the data to the hub when reconnected and the HUB backfilled really well.

3 Likes