Hub USB power from 3rd party 1.5A USB port?

I’ve been powering my Tempest hub from a BE600M1 UPS USB port (1.5A rating) since it has the advantage of not requiring an AC adapter. It’s been working fine for over 4 months now, but I know a lot of devices require the included adapter to be used.

Is the hub designed to operate off a standard (3rd party) USB port, or should I plug the included adapter into the UPS rather than using the USB port on the UPS?

I just don’t want to slowly kill my hub by over-amping it in case it doesn’t have a controller to regulate the power (i.e. designed to only work with the included AC adapter)

it uses only very little power, it should be save. If anything gets killed, it will be your UPS when you draw too much power from it (using other devices)

Does the Tempest come with a USB wall-wart? Unless I’m totally losing my mind, the Air/Sky package didn’t include a power supply for the Hub.

Anyway, since older Hub is essentially the same as the Tempest one and there’s no such thing as over-amping a device, I’d leave your UPS online and enjoy your station. If it makes you feel any better, my Hub has been powered by the USB port on an APC BGE90M UPS for over two years and it is still running fine…

2 Likes

Yes, my tempest came with a 5V 1A charger.
I’m using a single Anker 4-port USB charger to power Tempest, Hubitat and Lutron Caseta hubs and everybody seems happy :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

My hub has been plugged into the USB port of an Eaton UPS for over a year now. No issues whatsoever…

1 Like

Yes. The Hub needs 5vdc at 500ma. Once the Hub boots and is stable I think it uses about 85ma.

2 Likes

I just don’t want to slowly kill my hub by over-amping it in case it doesn’t have a controller to regulate the power (i.e. designed to only work with the included AC adapter)

The adapter ratings are the maximum that the adapter will supply. In your case, it will supply up to 1.5A. Unlike voltage, you can connect a device to a charger that is capable of supplying more power than is required. Voltage is different: If you plugged a USB-powered device into an adapter that supplied something like 12V, it would be bad for the device. This is pretty much the same as things that you plug into the wall.

I’m in the US so I’m not sure these example apply to you, but the US nominal voltage for a normal household socket is 110v. The amount of amperage that a typical socket can provide will depend on the circuit breaker, but 15A is typical. So while a device you plug in might require 1A the fact that the outlet can supply up to 15A won’t cause 15A to be “pushed” into the device.

1 Like