How to add Tempest to youtube channel?

Yep as @vreihen mentioned used the weather flow driver - your almost there :slight_smile:

OMG it is so hard when you not used to program. I have to read 10 times over and over again to make 1 step :slight . Now I’m stuck with wflow driver. Is this Weewx program should be visible on your desktop or is it like something not visible runing inside the system? Not sure if I installed it or not :smiley:

it is challenging at first - it took me a couple of tries and bascially two days to figure it out at first - as Belchertown then needs MQTT to work, which is a different process and its all command line…

There is nothing on the desktop, it all runs via the command line - there is good google group on weewx where help is normally at hand…

Good luck!

Andy

2 Likes

Hi vreihen,
while installing extention I run in to this error, maybe you know how to go about it?

wee_extension --install weatherflow-udp-master.zip
Request to install ‘weatherflow-udp-master.zip’
Extracting from zip archive weatherflow-udp-master.zip
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/weewx/wee_extension”, line 88, in
main()
File “/usr/share/weewx/wee_extension”, line 80, in main
ext.install_extension(options.install)
File “/usr/share/weewx/weecfg/extension.py”, line 123, in install_extension
self.install_from_dir(extension_dir)
File “/usr/share/weewx/weecfg/extension.py”, line 181, in install_from_dir
shutil.copy(source_path, destination_path)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/shutil.py”, line 415, in copy
copyfile(src, dst, follow_symlinks=follow_symlinks)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/shutil.py”, line 261, in copyfile
with open(src, ‘rb’) as fsrc, open(dst, ‘wb’) as fdst:
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/usr/share/weewx/user/weatherflowudp.py’

also I want to mention that looks like I have all permisions:

vadas@vadas:~$ ls -l
total 40
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 29 22:10 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 29 22:10 Documents
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 30 06:21 Downloads
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 29 22:10 Music
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 29 22:10 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 29 22:10 Public
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 29 22:10 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 2 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 29 22:10 Videos
drwxrwxr-x 3 vadas vadas 4096 geg. 17 22:01 weatherflow-udp-master
drwxrwxr-x 8 vadas vadas 4096 rugp. 30 05:16 weewx-4.1.1

Hi Andy,
I got weewx installed fine. Stuck a bit while trying to install Weatherflow extention.
Question: How do you check on that extension if it is installed and working? Because now I’m confused, maybe it is all installed already :slight_smile: where do you see the picture of your station report?
Because I did this line and looks all ok no errors:

sudo /etc/init.d/weewx start
Starting weewx (via systemctl): weewx.service.

and then nothing else :slight_smile:

After you start it run:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

that will the show you if its picking up the station data and any errors - I’m not an expert on weewx though…

Well done on getting it installed and the extension…

2 Likes

Try adding sudo to the start on the install command: sudo wee_extension --install weatherflow-udp-master.zip. That should fix the permission errors.

2 Likes

sudo ls -l /usr/share/weewx/user

1 Like

I think it is not picking :frowning:

vadas@vadas:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/weewx start
[sudo] password for vadas:
vadas@vadas:~$ tail -f /var/log/syslog
Aug 31 06:42:24 vadas dbus-daemon[935]: [session uid=1000 pid=935] Activating via systemd: service name=‘org.gnome.Terminal’ unit=‘gnome-terminal-server.service’ requested by ‘:1.197’ (uid=1000 pid=19578 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-terminal.real --window " label=“unconfined”)
Aug 31 06:42:24 vadas systemd[918]: Starting GNOME Terminal Server…
Aug 31 06:42:25 vadas dbus-daemon[935]: [session uid=1000 pid=935] Successfully activated service ‘org.gnome.Terminal’
Aug 31 06:42:25 vadas systemd[918]: Started GNOME Terminal Server.
Aug 31 06:42:25 vadas systemd[918]: Started VTE child process 19592 launched by gnome-terminal-server process 19581.
Aug 31 06:42:25 vadas systemd[918]: gnome-launched-org.gnome.Terminal.desktop-19574.scope: Succeeded.
Aug 31 06:42:27 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[970]: (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.
Aug 31 06:42:29 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[970]: message repeated 2 times: [ (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.]
Aug 31 06:42:29 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[970]: (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: WARNING: log rate limit exceeded (5 msgs per 30000ms). Discarding future messages.

Hello Vreijen,
What does this line do?

vadas@vadas:~$ sudo ls -l /usr/share/weewx/user
total 12
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 541 birž. 2 01:16 extensions.py
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 306 birž. 2 01:16 init.py
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 rugp. 29 23:14 pycache

Not sure why it can not find extention :frowning:

vadas@vadas:~$ sudo wee_extension --install weatherflow-udp-master.zip
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/weewx/wee_extension”, line 88, in
main()
File “/usr/share/weewx/wee_extension”, line 80, in main
ext.install_extension(options.install)
File “/usr/share/weewx/weecfg/extension.py”, line 132, in install_extension
raise InstallError(“Extension ‘%s’ not found.” % extension_path)
weecfg.extension.InstallError: Extension ‘weatherflow-udp-master.zip’ not found.

Tells us:

1. Tells us that the weatherflow-udp extension is not installed.

2. The permissions show that the folder is owned by root (not your user), contradicting your assumptions above when looking at the parent folder’s permissions.

3. You will need “sudo wee_extension …” to do the install, and sudo to start WeeWX.

Since the problem appears to be that you didn’t download the station driver from Gitgub in .zip format, let’s try the simpler Atmocom installation procedure steps 1-3…with these command lines:

1. sudo wget -O weatherflow-udp-master.zip https://github.com/captain-coredump/weatherflow-udp/archive/master.zip

2. sudo wee_extension --install weatherflow-udp-master.zip

I’m not sure what step #4 will do with the weatherflow-udp driver, because I never back-ported the code to build an initial sensor_map after I wrote the Atmocom driver last year. You will still need to edit weewx.conf to configure the driver and add the sensor_map manually. Here’s a sample Tempest sensor_map:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/captain-coredump/weatherflow-udp/master/sample_Tempest_sensor_map

Good luck…

1 Like

All this talk is making me want to install Ubuntu on my old HP Pavilion dv6 laptop that has Windows 7 and use it as a sever to store information from my Tempest when I get it using WeeWX. Is it easy to work out yourself? Like is it a program that I can easily run?

1 Like

Hi Ben,

from what I can see this is more program lines you have to input, because it is open source and using Python programming language. Nothing really is hard unless you run in some kind of errors like me :frowning: . And I believe I have problem because I have installed Ubuntu on my VirtualBox machine that is running on Win10.
Answer to your question it is not a program and if some one would make a video how to install weewx and most important Weatherflow extension would be great help for nooby people like me :smiley:D

But I’m not loosing fate that I will make it work with some good people around that try to help :slight_smile:

Hello vreihen,
Thank You for your help :slight_smile: I did all the steps you told me to do and I believe extension is ok now. But to be sure here is screen shot of what I did. I hope I did copy and pasted “sensor_map” in right place, please let me know if I’m wrong. Still i see some errors in a string lines :frowning: but maybe it is ok not sure.
Whats now where do I go to see my weather station in weewx?
I did

vadas@vadas:~$ sudo wee_extension
vadas@vadas:~$ sudo wget -O weatherflow-udp-master.zip https://github.com/captain-coredump/weatherflow-udp/archive/master.zip
–2020-08-31 18:38:16-- https://github.com/captain-coredump/weatherflow-udp/archive/master.zip
Resolving github.com (github.com)… 140.82.121.3
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|140.82.121.3|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 302 Found
Location: https://codeload.github.com/captain-coredump/weatherflow-udp/zip/master [following]
–2020-08-31 18:38:16-- https://codeload.github.com/captain-coredump/weatherflow-udp/zip/master
Resolving codeload.github.com (codeload.github.com)… 140.82.121.10
Connecting to codeload.github.com (codeload.github.com)|140.82.121.10|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: unspecified [application/zip]
Saving to: ‘weatherflow-udp-master.zip’

weatherflow-udp-mast [ <=> ] 28,17K --.-KB/s in 0,09s

2020-08-31 18:38:17 (310 KB/s) - ‘weatherflow-udp-master.zip’ saved [28844]

vadas@vadas:~$ sudo wee_extension --install weatherflow-udp-master.zip
Extracting from zip archive weatherflow-udp-master.zip
Saving installer file to /usr/share/weewx/user/installer/weatherflowudp
Finished installing extension ‘weatherflow-udp-master.zip’
vadas@vadas:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/weewx start
vadas@vadas:~$ tail -f /var/log/syslog
Aug 31 19:03:13 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: (EE) client bug: timer event4 debounce short: scheduled expiry is in the past (-7ms), your system is too slow
Aug 31 19:03:50 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.
Aug 31 19:04:00 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: message repeated 4 times: [ (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.]
Aug 31 19:04:00 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: WARNING: log rate limit exceeded (5 msgs per 30000ms). Discarding future messages.
Aug 31 19:04:24 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.
Aug 31 19:06:34 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: message repeated 3 times: [ (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.]
Aug 31 19:06:51 vadas rtkit-daemon[1003]: Supervising 4 threads of 2 processes of 1 users.
Aug 31 19:06:51 vadas rtkit-daemon[1003]: Supervising 4 threads of 2 processes of 1 users.
Aug 31 19:06:57 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.
Aug 31 19:07:12 vadas /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[995]: (II) event6 - VirtualBox mouse integration: SYN_DROPPED event - some input events have been lost.

Does somebody have an example V4.x weewx.conf that they can share? I only have a V3.x file, and it is a figurative train wreck of obsolete/experimental stuff…

2 Likes

Here’s my weewx.conf from v4.1.1. (Note I have added .txt to the end so I can upload it here). I have blanked out the server_url in the [[MQTT]] stanza and I have made a few other adjustments here and there.

weewx.conf.txt (25.2 KB)

3 Likes

Hello vreihen,

Thank you again, what do i do with peter’s weewx.conf text? do I need just replace with the one I have, simply over write?

No, don’t do that. The sensor map for the UDP driver will be wrong, and there are other changes that I have made that you may not need. Use it as a template for modifying your own config file. For a start, you will need to adjust the sensor map to match the serial numbers of the devices you own.

2 Likes