How can i track and find my tempest...in my house

OK so I brought my beloved tempest inside cause I planned on using a new pole for it. My mom who is starting to have dementia took my tempest and put it somewhere in the house.The battery is in power
save mode but is still pumping out data What app would i need to find my tempest

Turn off all light, then all lights on and see if illumination changes.
If you can, shut rooms and block ventilation one by one and see if you get an increase/decrease in temperature.
Rotate hub and look at signal strength…there is another thread on this
Get a portable frequency scanner and walk around and find the strongest signal. You could do this with the hub also, move it room to room and track signal changes to try to find it.

1 Like

Already look at temp, we saw a few cases where kids took Tempest from their pole and yanked them in the bushes of the garden. At least you can already determine if it is rather inside or outside (or the fridge) … also look in the bin … another classical or the laundry …

good treasure hunting

1 Like

I don’t know how sensitive it is, but you might add a powerbank to the hub, walk around with the hub and check the rssi value to see if you get any closer to the device. I hope it is updating that value at least once every minute, but you should be able to find that out, once you start walking.

1 Like

If you know for certain that it’s inside from the temperature, my wild guess is it’s in a box, or under a pile of papers etc. or the like someplace. Heaven forbid it’s in the plastic recycling.

You might try opening all the windows in one room, one-by-one with the door closed of course and see if you can get a temperature drop in the readings before it runs out of juice.

[…update - the Mrs. suggests maybe trying in the cupboards or kitchen drawers. Maybe she saw it and thought it was a kitchen gadget…]

1 Like

And we are very interested to know where you find it and which clues worked for you
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

I was able to use bluetooth finder app to locate the hub which comes up as device name
HB-00023776
THE DEVICE ADDRESS IS
B0:38:29:B0:80:BC

WHAT I NEED W TO KNOW IS WHAT THE TEMPEST DEVICE ADDRESS IS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT?

The Tempest sensor only communicates with the hub, not with WiFi. You won’t find the Tempest on your network. It uses a completely different frequency.

But doesn’t the tempest use bluetooth?

I didn’t realize your hub was also missing.
no,the tempest uses its own radio (not wifi, not bluetooth) but as mentioned you can move the hub around and see how the rssi value changes (a less negative value means you are getting closer)

So where was the hub ?

The idea somebody else had about moving the hub and watching the RSSI values for the Tempest was a good one. I still think my ‘open the windows one room at a time’ idea might help too, depending on where you’re located and how cold it is outside.

Found it! My mom placed it in the food pantry behind the doggie treats.

9 Likes

And the method used is…

1 Like

Awaiting the feature request for adding an AirTag to each WF piece of gear :slight_smile:

Congrats on success !!!

3 Likes

Good morning this is what I learned The gps coordinates got me within one meter of the Tempest. The problem was there was a wall between the garage and food pantry, that caused me a little confusion

So to the future person who is in my scenario I would not look at Google Maps. I tried track it that way and it was off about 20 feet.

When I downloaded A GPS LOCATION COORDINATE FINDER IT GOT ME WITHIN ONE METER

The signal strength meter is very unpredictable. I literally had placed the hub 3 feet away and the signal was still saying 50. I was getting readings all over my house that were very inaccurate so what i did was take post it notes and I would take a reading then post the reading. By doing that I was able to get a rough idea do to the pattern.
hopefully that helps

You do realize that the Tempest does not have a GPS, right? The GPS coordinates are put in by the user with a mobile device. It is the mobile device’s GPS that is used and then fine tuned with moving the map.

next time put your tempest high on a pole in your garden, so your mom cannot reach it. :wink:

2 Likes