Hours of sunshine

isn’t there some fancy algorithm that calculates the hours of sunshine (I guess it would involve solar radiance measurement, location and time of the year). Couldn’t that be added to the list of calculated values?

4 Likes

47 posts were merged into an existing topic: Developing formula for Hours of Sunshne

isn’t there some fancy algorithm that calculates the hours of sunshine (I guess it would involve solar radiance measurement, location and time of the year). Couldn’t that be added to the list of calculated values?

4 Likes

Put it in feauture request I thought also about this :wink:

It could be added but it’s a bit beyond the scope of the application. There are third-party applications that do offer this data

4 Likes

Why is this beyond the scope of the application? Currently it shows quite a few calculated values. Unless you are a real weather geek (oops, aren’t we all :wink:) this derived value is one that appeals to the casual hobbyist (like me)

1 Like

David has addressed this in posts several times.

1 Like

I did search for ‘hours of sunshine’ on this forum, but came up with zero results. (I might be searching wrong of course). If this is being discussed elsewhere could you direct me towards that discussion?

Not that specifically but about the scope of the application and the role of third-party developers.

I’ve asked for several items to be added to the application and finally decided to start developing my own.

5 Likes

I like that feature which us why I posted this:

3 Likes

But I wouldn’t put sun and moon calculator in the same league as ‘hours of sunshine’, as the latter is a bit stronger related to wheater itself.

1 Like

there is at least some research and some formula, I’m not sure if you can acces this article (but I can :slight_smile: )

Relationship between sunshine duration and solar radiation

Author links open overlay panelHarrySuehrckeaRoss S.BowdenbK.G.T.Hollandsc

RedirectingGet rights and content

Highlights

69,000 pairs of sunshine–radiation readings were examined from 670 sites.

Relationship between atmospheric transmittance and sunshine fraction is non-linear.

Reason for non-linearity is clouds get optically thicker with decreasing sunshine fraction.

A generalization of the Angstrom–Prescott equation most efficiently fits data.

Fundamental connection between diffuse fraction and sunshine–radiation relationship.

1 Like

The code I posted gives the hours.

o sorry, I thought it calculated sunrise, sunset, and perhaps the difference. I’m not talking about daylight hours, but the hours during the day that the sun actually shines. Something that is usually measured with a Campbell–Stokes recorder (a big glass ball used as a magnifying glass that burns paper when the sun is really shining)

2 Likes

I’m also interest in the daylight hours and also the moon phase. :waning_gibbous_moon:. I think that would have to take a calender function but would be very cool if it could be done but I do understand that this would probably be a part of a website building app. I’m not there yet.

1 Like

Love the lightning website! Thanks!

Planning on incorporating the Javascript @GaryFunk talks about into my mobile app… Will also be useful for local conditions…

2 Likes

the 3rd party software weather display does calculate sunshine hours

2 Likes

are you sure, I looked at it, and it seems to calculate the astronomical values like sunrise and sunset, but I didn’t look very carefully. For calculating the actual hours of sunshine you do need at least the solar radiance values as measured by the device.
/edit… I just realised you are referring to different software then the javascript mentioned earlier. That seems to do only astronomical calculations. I didn’t look at the software you mentioned
\