Homescreen link

Does anyone know how to add the link to this forum on the homescreen of a phone? I know I have done it for other links for web addresses on Chrome but that option doesn’t show up for this forum when I click on the three dots of the upper right hand corner.

I just tested on my android tablet and I got the option to add it to desktop. Maybe toggle between desktop or not to make the option to show ?

On my Samsung Galaxy S20+ I am using Microsoft Edge. In the silent notifications section I have this:

Selecting to open in Edge opens the forum as a web page instead of a web app and I can pin an icon in that view. Maybe Chrome has the same option. This is essentially what @eric is saying, too.

Sounds like this has been solved, but I usually go about it a different way, in case someone’s looking for an (easier?) alternative:

1. Launch “Chrome” app.
  2. Open the website or web page you want to pin to your home screen.
  3. Tap the menu icon (3 dots in upper right-hand corner) and tap Add to homescreen.
  4. You’ll be able to enter a name for the shortcut and then Chrome will add it to your home screen.
1 Like

That works if the page didn’t open as a Web App, if it opens as a Web App and you want to pin it, you need to tell the browser to open it as a web page (in desktop mode) to have the three dots menu available.

Ah, gotcha. I just opened Tempest in Chrome on my phone and the three-dot menu listed “Add to Home screen” as a menu item; I wasn’t aware there was a different way to open the page. Thanks for the education!

It is interesting that, in Chrome, opening the URL directly leaves the 3-dot menu but opening from the pinned icon does not, it opens as a Web App.

Fascinating. I don’t even know how to create this pinned icon thing! Is that an Edge feature? (If so, that would be why!)

No, just do what you said above to “Add to Home screen” and then close the browser and open the site with the pinned icon. Remember, both Edge and Google Chrome are based on the Chromium engine so there are many similarities.

How interesting! I don’t even know where to find this pinned icon thing. Maybe it’s a Samsung feature? (I’m on a Google Pixel 5, so that could be why it’s a mystery to me.)

When you select pin to home there will be an icon on your home screen. It is an Android thing, not a Samsung thing. You will have an icon similar to this: Screenshot_20210320-072510~2
This was captured on a Nokia 7 PureView which is an Android One phone which is as close to a Google Pixel phone as possible without being one. Just try it and then swipe through your home screen pages to look for it.