Homekit integration

Any word yet on homekit integration?

1 Like

The data is sent UDP so Homekit is free to integrate it.

1 Like

I have not seen mention of HomeKit compatibility in quite a while, which probably is a sign that it isn’t at the top of WF’s project list.

HomeKit for the impatient (aka: HomeBridge) is an option, if you want to develop a third-party plugin for reading WF data on a Raspberry Pi from either UDP or from WF’s web API. Before you do, I encourage you to try and find examples of other HomeKit/HomeBridge-supported weather stations and how their data is presented to the user. I personally have official HomeKit devices that I can’t read temperature/humidity out of to write an automation rule, and to add insult to injury you have to go download a third-party iOS app to write those rules because Apple’s own Home app can’t write rules with number values.

Since I already have HomeBridge running, I have given at least a passing thought to writing a Q&D HomeBridge plugin to pull some basic stuff in from my WF station that might be useful in automation rules. This is not anywhere near the top of my own priority list, though…

Thanks, @vreihen. I saw this post a while back but neglected to respond because I wanted to take a fresh look at HomeKit. We’re doing that now as time allows but initial results indicate it’s pretty much in the same state as it was a year ago: the “hardware integration” side of things is onerous and the “software usefulness” side of things is questionable. I’m sure it’s coming, but at the moment there still doesn’t seem to be a really compelling reason to support HomeKit other than to say “We support HomeKit” on the packaging.

Question for @snowmaker1: what would you do with HomeKit integration?

1 Like

And if you support HomeKit you open the door to have to support every other home hub.

personally, I’d like to see you drop all efforts other than getting autocalibration into service for rain and wind…

3 Likes

Google and Alexa are already supported by WF and/or third parties, so it is not a stretch to show Siri some love…if it can actually do something useful with the data. Otherwise, WF has to pay the licensing “Apple tax” on every package they ship to include the “Works with HomeKit” logo.

@vinceskahan - Autocalibration…then onto the $199 WSR-88D personal weather radar project… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There are SmartHome, SmartThings, Wink. Hive, Neeo, Honeywell and others too numerous to mention.

I’d rather see the time put into current hardware and firmware then the Solar Panel and Breathe.

2 Likes

Trying to look at options that will clearly alarm at a set temp. I make snow at home and need on occasion a -2C alarm

1 Like

Look at the third-party applications and IFTTT.

1 Like

While we do intend to support all of the popular smart home ecosystems eventually…

we’re putting the max effort in to auto-calibration and resolving other hardware challenges, but not all WeatherFlow folks can help there, so there is room to multitask a bit.

Cool! As others have pointed out, I don’t think you need HomeKit for that. IFTTT should do the trick. This pre-configured recipe might work without much modification: Receive notification when temp drops below threshold - IFTTT or you can create a custom one from scratch.

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate the link
R

1 Like

Is adding integration with Apple’s Siri less effort(and cost) than Homekit?

Regards
Mike

Yes, it is. Adding support for Siri is on par with the effort to support Amazon Echo and Google Home. Different, but similar. Not trivial but definitely less cost/effort than full HomeKit integration. That’s on our roadmap!

3 Likes

hmhm do I see a little cake next to your name @dsj ??

happy :tada::gift::balloon:

2 Likes

Thanks, @eric. Apparently, today is my one-year anniversary of using this forum! I suppose we’ll see a lot more cakes in the next couple weeks! I’ll look for yours on Jan 4.

4 Likes

Any update on Siri integration? Not looking for full HomeKit support just the ability to ask Siri what the current weather is.

3 Likes

Yes, Siri integration is rising to the top of the backlog but still no ETA.

2 Likes

Sure hope we get some Siri or HomeKit support soon.

The HomeKit support on Netatmo looks great.

1 Like

Siri is coming soon, for sure. HomeKit is further off, but definitely still on our roadmap.

2 Likes