Heat Burst observed on Tempest

At 12:55am CDT on 06/04/2020. . .the temperature at Bellevue Tempest°" began to rise. An area of convection was located about 12-24 miles to the south. The thunderstorms were moving to the SE as stronger storms “Bow-Echoed” thru SE Nebr into the NE part of KS.

The thunderstorms to the south “flushed” out an outflow boundary of south winds. This caused a “Heat Burst.” A Heat Burst is a downdraft of hot and dry air that typically occurs in the evening or overnight hours. Heat Bursts are rare, but they occasionally do happen. The atmospheric conditions have to be just right for Heat Bursts. This usually occurs in the late evening or during the overnight hours as thunderstorms are disipating.

Some ten minutes before the “Heat Burst” occurrerd I looked at the temp. ST-7764 read out at 81.3°. . .but WFAIR-01 (AR-5552) only had a temperature of 77.7° and those two WF items are practically next to each other. My original thought was that one of the temperature sensors had gone bad. I then looked at temperature graphs for both. The temperature graph for Tempest clearly showed the “Heat Burst”. . .but the graph for WFAIR-01 was not so pronounced.

SO. . .there’s one more POSITIVE plug for the Tempest WeatherSystem. Tempest (even the “beta pre-production” model) clearly displayed these “Heat Bursts” with sufficient detail.

In the Lightning graph below. . .by 12:58am CDT. . .the thunderstorm had only a couple of lightning strikes left in it before it completely disipated.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing your observations. They look cool!

One of the improvements made in Tempest over the older Air modules is that the Tempest has a lower thermal mass around the temperature sensor. It can therefore respond much faster to changes in temperature compared to the old Air modules which are more sluggish due to the much larger mass of the housing the needs to be heated up/cooled down. I think this change is probably what you are seeing here.

3 Likes