Hardware received but hub won't connect to BLE (solved with iPhone)

update - my wife’s iPhone worked ! The lights changed from solid red to cyan and it connected and went through the whole process ok. Really odd.

I’ll write up the ‘three’ different devices that didn’t work and their os levels, as there has to be some kind of BLE compatibility issue in the WF software.

And I see the hub transmitting with tcpdump, so I’m off to the reading UDP races !!!

sudo tcpdump -i en0 'udp and port 50222' -vvv
Password:

tcpdump: listening on en0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
17:08:30.464663 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 1060, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 136)
    192.168.1.151.50222 > broadcasthost.50222: [no cksum] UDP, length 108
17:08:30.669501 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 1062, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 182)
    192.168.1.151.50222 > broadcasthost.50222: [no cksum] UDP, length 154
17:08:30.669874 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 1064, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 129)
    192.168.1.151.50222 > broadcasthost.50222: [no cksum] UDP, length 101
17:08:30.976585 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 1066, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 139)
    192.168.1.151.50222 > broadcasthost.50222: [no cksum] UDP, length 111
17:08:31.386210 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 1068, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 136)
17:08:32.307861 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 255, id 1070, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 136)

I should have asked you if the LED turned blue when you opened the application. I apologize for missing that. It’s strange that neither of your Android devices failed to connect. I’m interested in the devices and Android version of each.

These couldn’t connect…

• Phone is Verizon Droid Turbo - Android 6.0.1
  • Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 - Android 7.0
  • iPad is model MGTX2LL/A - os version 10.3.3 (14G60)

The iPhone that worked was Verizon model MG5W2LL/A (iPhone 6) - os version 11.4 (15F79)

I am having the same issue and have tried an iPhone as well after having the issue with my iPad. I did however manage to connect initially and set up the hub. I stopped at wifi settings and skipped this process initially, but when I can back later to try again I couldn’t get it to show up. I have tried all the suggestions including reset, power down and up again, restart app, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

I had pretty much the same experience as @vinceskahan setting mine up last night. I tried resets, power cycles, killing the app, deleting the app, turning bluetooth off/on and various combinations and all I’d get was a couple of seconds of flashing green and solid red. Finally power cycled the phone and everything started working. Phone is iPhone 8.

I really hate using BT with the phone, it almost never works. Every smartwatch I have has been similar when trying to get them to reconnect. And it’s not just this phone, but previous generations as well.

I don’t know that this helps, but maybe try power cycling phone/tablet as one of the first steps in troublshooting may help. I have this strange opinion that computing devices shouldn’t need a power cycle to fix things so it’s always a last resort for me.

4 Likes

What’s amazing is that the same phone+tablets works great with other BLE devices such as multiple fitbits and the like, so there’s something in the WF implementation that likely needs a little work. It’s almost like the hub needs the BLE equivalent of wake-on-lan or something…

We were able to replicate the issue in question on a couple different Android devices and have a build in the works that resolves the issue. This updated version should be available in the next couple of days as it makes its way through our QA process.

The Android operating system has some well-known issues with its Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) implementation. BLE Performance and reliability varies from device to device on Android thus your mileage may vary and likely why some users have found their way into this frustrating scenario and others simply breeze through the setup process.

In the meantime, the not-so-friendly workaround on Android for the issue is as follows:

• Logout
  • Kill & restart the app
  • Create a new account
  • Restart the setup process

Alternatively, if you have an iOS device handy, kill the Android app and pick-up the setup process on the iOS device.

4 Likes

Gee, that’s an understatement. LOL. As long as I can remember Android has had issue with Bluetooth.

5 Likes

Hi gang - New guy here. I just got my devices last night. Unfortunately, I have the same phone as vinceskahan: Verizon Droid Turbo - Android 6.0.1, so I too couldn’t connect to the hub. We’re an iPhoneless household. I had to roust one of my neighbors and borrow his iPhone to set up my Sky and Air.

I can see my devices on my phone now, but I can’t be running to the neighbor every time I need to make a change. Is there an Android app fix in the near future?

Thanks,
Rick

You can now use the Web application to make your changes.

Are you not able to edit any of the data on your phone?

1 Like

I don’t think you need the app once you’ve gotten the Hub onto your wifi and done the initial setup to add the Air+Sky to your station…

Also try to toggle the metric/imperial switches back ad forth … Someone had a problem with editing pencils not there till he did that. Maybe some “default” setting isn’t ok and messes on some platforms.

Hi Vince - Thanks for the quick response.

I agree, for the most part. But, for example, I’d like to fine tune my location and my elevation.
Minutia I know, but I feel hobbled without a working app on my own phone.

Rick

Thanks Gary - My phone is one of the Android flavors that won’t connect to the hub.
I Just saw the notice about the app updates. Let me try the new app before I bother you guys again.

I used the web page to make the location updates. Thanks for that Gary.

I’m just leaving work now. I’ll give you an update on the phone application when I get home.

Rick

P.S.: This is a Great forum. You guys are awesome.

You can do all that in the Web application.

1 Like

Thanks Gary - I was able to adjust location and elevation via the web application. However, I had to move the hub because the Sky kept going offline. The hub is much closer to the devices now, but further from that access point. So the wireless signal is weak. I have another access point in that part of the house but need to set it up with the mobile application. The mobile application still won’t connect to the hub.

I’ve tried removing and reloading the mobile application; booting the phone; and booting the hub. No luck so far.

My phone is a Verizon Droid Turbo running Android 6.0.1.
I have version 2.15(48) of the mobile app.

Thanks for your help.
Rick

2 Likes

You can actually do all that in the mobile app as well. The only functions that require a BLE connection to the Hub for provisioning functions: adding a device and configuring WiFi.

Sounds like you’ve done everything you can on your end, @rcomito - sorry for the hassle. We have researched this issue and there’s nothing we can find in the code that would cause this issue. We suspect there’s something specific going on with the BLE implementation of this phone model. We don’t have a sample of that phone and have been unable to reproduce this issue on other phones.

1 Like

Hi @WFmarketing

Today I attempted to add another hub using a samsung Android with Smart Weather App ver 2.50.
My existing hub was on and my phone connected to it rather than my new hub…
I couldnt get the bluetooth connection to the new hub.
I tried:
Changed the 5V 0.5 Amp usb power supply to a 2A sumsung supply.
Restarted the hub
Rebooted the hub with a paper clip
Disconnected the other hub I already have
Restarted the App
And repeated everything in different orders.
Still No connection to the new Hub.

What I noticed was that during the process of adding the Hub serial number to the new Station details the App added a digit to the 4 digit field. It didnt show up in the field when I entered it though. When I looked at Station Status page the Serial Number field was: HB-00011997. BUT I entered ‘1997’. Somehow the App didnt convert the number that I entered correctly?

So then thanks to @GaryFunk describing to delete the Station by swiping left I was able to delete the station and start again. There was no other way to progress that I could find.

This time I disconnected my other hub before I began again.
AND I had to restart my mobile phone first.

Then everything worked correctly.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

And diconnnected means you disconnected the power cord to the Hub, right ?
Not the bluetooth ?

1 Like

Correct. It has been discussed for the past year that to add devices to a Hub it must be the only Hub within bluetooth range.

2 Likes