Forecast API limit to one day

I’m working on a project using the forecast API to get the current day’s sunrise/sunset epoch. I’m running this program on a raspberry pi pico. The API call for the forecast returns more data than the pico’s memory can handle. Is there a way to limit the response for a specific day? If not, I would like to make a feature request to add an additional parameter to the call to only return 1 specific day, for example “day=0” returns only today’s forecast?

I am not sure what your project is and why you want to get the sunrise/sunset epoch using the Weatherflow forecast API. I have a project running on a raspberry pi taking sunrise and sunset photographs and what I use to calculate the times is ephem · PyPI
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

If not ephem, which looks pretty cool, there are plenty of sunrise/sunset algorithms available that merely need latitude, longitude, and timezone info (UTC offset on the date in question). For more than a year I’ve been using some Javascript snagged from Github that’s seemed to line up well with the Weatherflow-provided times. It’s maybe 20 or 30 lines of code total (and of course relies on some basic trigonometric functions).

2 Likes

Or there are several free APIs out there that provide sunrise/sunset data for given latitude/longitude locations - e.g: https://sunrise-sunset.org/api

3 Likes

there are streaming json parsers that can help there too. I ran into the very same problem with a little arduino esp32. You wont be able to parse the entire json response into memory ever, but what you can do is if you know the structure, use a streaming json parser, and have it pull out the data you care about when you need it.

1 Like

not sure that will run on micro pi.

other options…make a service on another pi to wrap these request to make them “smaller”

1 Like