First Good Test

I had a fairly strong cold front come through early this morning and the wind and rain measurements are quite interesting. They were predicting very high winds for our area today and into tomorrow after the front passed. This is my first good test for rain and wind. The Tempest has so far measure a maximum wind gust @ 20.3 MPH/1:30 PM and the WS-2000 @ 21.7 MPH/1:15 PM. The total rainfall accumulation for this event was .68" on the Tempest and 1.02" on the WS-2000. Why the difference between the two devices? I’m not exactly sure, but I have read several reviews with “pros” and “cons” for each weather station. I have yet to add the Stratus Precision Rain Gauge but I hope to have that added over the next week. The 2 weather stations are mounted fairly close to each other hopefully giving them an equal testing ground.

1 Like

As a follow up on testing, this morning we have a light freeze with frost on the ground. The Tempest is currently reporting 28.9F and the WS-2000 is reporting 28.8F. So very close on the temperatures.

2 Likes

At times both the Weatherflow Tempest and the Ambient Weather WS-2000 will reports measurements that are remarkably close. Both reporting almost identical wind gust at the same time.

Tempest 10:40AM Wind Gust 8 MPH
WS-2000 10:40AM Wind Gust 8.1 MPH

2-5-2022 Good Rain Accumulation Test

Had a good test for measuring rain accumulation with two weather stations and two manual rain gauges. The rain event began yesterday evening and ended late this morning here in Northeast Florida. Result were as follows:

Ambient Weather WS-2000 .81
Weatherflow Tempest .26
Acurite 5" Glass Tube Collector .75
Acurite 5" Magnifying Collector .75

I used two Acurite manual rain gauges and some might ask why not the NWS approved Stratus rain gauge. Well first I live in Florida, do you know how many times we get over 1" of rain per rain event??? I mean it happens frequently, not every time but it does happen very frequently and usually 1" to 3" per event. Secondly, after reading how the Stratus rain gauge works, I decided I didn’t want the thing with its inner tube only holding 1" and then the outer tube holding the spill over of rain in excess of the 1" causing you to further use the decant method to measure the accumulated rainfall total. I decided on the two different styles of manual rain gauges in the picture. In this test both Acurite rain gauges measured the same amount of rain at .75" even though they are built differently. What is really interesting is that the Tempest only registered .26" of rain and I don’t use “Rain Check”. It is pretty clear that Weatherflow still has some work to do on the Tempest’s haptic rain sensor, because it is clearly struggling to report rain accumulations accurately. The WS-2000 however seems pretty accurate when compared to the two Acurite manual rain gauges. Until next time, happy testing!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 540 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.