Effective false lightning filtering

New AIR feature: air compressor leak detection! :wink:

7 Likes

Why think small? Roscosmos certainly can use a leak detector for their Soyuz spacecraft, especially one that also triggers when detecting the arcs from the motor of an errant electric drill at the factory… :thinking:

4 Likes

What kind of heating system is used in your place ?
As well, oil blowers have known emp issues and start statistically those days. :wink:

central heating. it has a pump that for its own reasons starts up for a few minutes at 6 in the evening. It’s about 25m away from the unit and doesn’t correlate with the false readings. Even if it did, what can I do, the pump does his thing as it is designed to do that.
I have no idea what an oil blower is.

He probably means that the oil burner has a piezo igniter that would false the lightning detector. It causes a spark between the electrode and the fuel jet that ignites the fuel spray.

Some (maybe most) oil furnace burners have a high voltage transformer that causes an arc between a pair of electrodes during the ignition phase. Usually they also have a CdS photocell and a timer circuit that shuts off the arc when it sees that the oil spray has ignited or after a period of time with no fire. Ignition or not, you have a small spark-gap transmitter running whenever the furnace starts. So this certainly has the potential to cause false lightning detections.

3 Likes

Thanks dan for your supplements.
Sometimes it’s hard to hit the bull’s eye in translation :wink:
So I was able to learn :slight_smile:

In addition, as I know, gas heating systems have a similar mechanism.

1 Like