Effective anti bird measure

or maybe I should just stick to zip ties

15 Likes

It should say “no pooping” too!

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: but it will be hard to poop on it without standing :wink:

1 Like

If you start to see birds dive bombing it then you know they are actively trying to poop on it without breaking the rules.

1 Like

you’ve never met a seagull apparently

2 Likes

I used some chickenwire to create a cage around my tempest unit To keep the birds off. I cut a piece long enough to go above and below the unit. Then I attached it with a hose clamp below, cut the chicken wire with vertical cuts above and created a sort of cage with the sharp ends of the cut wires facing upward. It’s worked well so far. I’m thinking it has negligible effect on charging, wind or rain.
determination.

1 Like

I think the only issue will be lightning detection. You will have to pay attention and check.

1 Like

Gary, lightning detection works fine. I have attached my graph of lightning strikes.
Michael

but those strikes could be the ones not detected by your unit, but added by weatherflow’s servers.

Gary, so how does one determine whether they are locally detected or added by weatherflow? I see a flash of lightning and within seconds, I will get a warning on my mobile device that lightning was detected and how far away. I think it works. I guess the question is whether the wire cage diminishes the detection of the lightning strikes or not. Not sure how to determine that.
Michael

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lightning reports (tempest)

You’d have to listen to the UDP broadcasts on your LAN and look for strike events.

Unfortunately, you’d also probably need to baseline how well your unit detects strikes without (and with) your wire cage in order to compare the two, which is not too possible unless you have some artificial means to trigger a strike event (maybe a piezo fireplace starter or the like, I dunno). Coming up with a repeatable test to know one way or the other might be difficult.