Dual-band Difficulties

Hello All,

Firstly I just want to say that I’m in love with the Tempest weather station. Normally it is very easy to get up and running and the data collection is just swell. Now, in setting up the station in an area where I do not have any sort of network access (we are grateful to be allowed to perform research on their expansive property) and am having difficulties connecting the hub to the internet. The location in question uses a dual-band connection with the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz. I recently bought this repeater and it works just fine at home where I can force the hub to connect to the 2.4 band, however at the site the hub hangs and flickers blue when trying to connect. The password and SSID name indeed have non-alphanumeric characters (hyphens and periods) but unfortunately I’m not at liberty to change these.

My question: is there a more technical workaround to connect the hub to the internet? I’m currently collecting UDP packets with an RPI 3 B+ and thought I might be able to have it serve as an access point but I quickly realized I cannot easily bridge wlan1 interface with eth0 and plugging into a router is not an option at the site. Could I connect to the hub directly with Bluetooth and transmit this data with the Pi? Or are there other methods that could work? We really want online data collection for real-time weather assessment.

the blue light is on when it is connected via bluetooth. What happens when you turn off bluetooth on your phone/tablet? does the light turn green (connected via wifi)?
Instead of changing the name of the 5Ghz network, you might temporarely turn it off. The idea is that this isn’t needed, but I have some equipment that didn’t like the same ssid for 2.4 and 5 Ghz. It is only a problem during setup. After that it works just fine.
In the end I gave up and now have different names for 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Hi Sunny, thanks a lot for your reply. I’m not sure if the blinking blue light is with regards to the Bluetooth since I was trying pretty intensely to connect with Wi-Fi. And unfortunately I do not have the ability to shut down the network as several dozen residents rely on the connectivity and I don’t want to interrupt their operations. Another thing to note is that if I’m a certain distance away from an access point the connection will default to 2.4 Ghz, however even when I try to connect the hub at this stage it still refuses to maintain connection. I am able to connect just fine using my mobile phone as a hotspot but this is of course not so sustainable.

When it flashed blue, what is the in between color? red or green?

not the best advise, but perhaps start all over. there is a tiny hole above the led put something small and press for ten seconds.

Is your RPi within Wi-Fi range of the hub? If so, just add a USB Wi-Fi adapter and have the RPi act as a bridge. This has worked for me.

Yes gizmoev, I’m hoping to try this out when I head out to the site later today but my initial efforts were met with an ‘can’t add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported’ error. I have an adapter I’m hoping can indeed be the saving grace. Was your pi plugged in with ethernet?

I was wanting a station in my RV which would auto switch between Wi-Fi SSIDs when I left home and reconnect when I came back so I added a USB Wi-Fi adapter and had the RPi 3B act as a bridge. I modified the settings I found which were for bridging between the wired connection and the built-in Wi-Fi to get it to work. @GaryFunk added an option into his ArchiveWS install to do the bridging, too.

1 Like

You may have a wifi setting “High Performance Devices” that forces clients to use 5Ghz. It should be turned off. It could have a different name, but the effect will be the same…the hub will keep disconnecting from wireless and back again.