Does Hub stop broadcasting UDP if it can't connect to the Internet?

So the router that supplies one of my SSIDs with Internet failed, and I won’t be able to fix it for about a week. Recently the UDB broadcasts appear to have stopped as well, which means I can’t scrape the temperature and humidity data for my other weather station.

Is this expected behavior?

Also, any chance of an Ethernet-connected hub, and/or built-in PoE?

Thanks!

1 Like

No. The Hub sends data to the router which will broadcast it over the network. It will continue without an Internet connection.

What is the firmware version on your Hub?

You have my vote for this.

1 Like

Was the Hub connected to the wifi SSID that is no longer working? If so, the UDP packets cannot go anywhere (even locally) when the wifi link is down.

Personally, I am waiting for someone to enable wifi access point mode on a Raspberry Pi running weewx:

https://blog.thewalr.us/2017/09/26/raspberry-pi-zero-w-simultaneous-ap-and-managed-mode-wifi/

The Hub can dump UDP (and cloud) packets directly into the Pi via wifi, and then it can pass them up to the cloud and other local networks.

I guess Bluetooth/BLE access from weewx and other programs would be another option, and would get my vote for engineering time investment over a wired ethernet port that most consumers have no use for…

2 Likes

Are you wanting the Pi to act as the router for the Hub?

not to far from a meteobridge setup according me …

/* The Hub sends data to the router which will broadcast it over the network.*/

That’s not how broadcast works, but I’ve realized it’s probably that the DHCP lease expired and the router didn’t renew it, so it doesn’t have an IP address, so if it is still doing UDP broadcast, I’m not seeing it…

Oh, well, I’ll live for a week… 8*)

Thanks!

1 Like

agree - it has to be either sending to 255.255.255.255 or to the broadcast address for the subnet/netmask combination for the DHCP configuration it received. You could run wireshark/ethereal and listen for broadcasts if you really wanted to know.

update - I fired up wireshark. It’s sending to 255.255.255.255 which makes sense

1 Like

ummm, not exactly. It is broadcasting packets that the pi is ‘listening’ for on the wire(less).

2 Likes

I’d go for both. No desire for BLE. PoE would be nice for wiring reasons. Ethernet for stability reasons (wifi on 2.4GHz is notoriously unstable due to too many badly configured neighbors overlapping the correct channels they should be on. I’d also go for 5GHz wifi if that was doable.

So the Hub is dependent on the Router when it boots. If the Hub was configurable for a static IP and Gateway it would be able to broadcast UDP with no router.

On another note I have converted every device possible to Ethernet. If it doesn’t move I hardware it. All that is left is Anazon Echo, Dot and Google Home…Every device that is powered by 5Vdc if 12Vdc is now POE.

I’m think about opening the Hub to see if Ethernet can be added and Wi-Fi disabled.

5 Likes

/If the Hub was configurable for a static IP and Gateway it would be able to broadcast UDP with no router./

IS the Hub configurable for static iP?

No, no it is not. Thus the ‘If.’

5 Likes