Does battery power affect signal strength?

I’ve been running for a long time without issues. Upon installation, I recall checking the RSSI of my device and seeing that it was good. Over the last week or so, I started getting 1 or 2 notifications that my sensor was offline. I checked the RSSI this morning and it was at -89 which would probably explain the offlines. I moved my hub to a better location which is now about 80’ away from the device with only one drywall/wood/vinyl wall between it and the sensor. I’m at -59 now, which is better and probably will resolve my issue, but I’m curious as to why such a large drop. My best guess is that it has to do with the device’s battery power? Due to the gloomy winter weather of Lake Erie’s coast line, we don’t get a ton of sun and my battery has been hovering between 2.4 and 2.5v for about 2 weeks. As I understand it, 2.4v would cause the device to go to mode 1 battery saving. Would the be affecting the transmit power of the device?

Hi

For as much I know there is no power lowering on the radio. In your case it is the radio signal that got a dunk … maybe some new device around you started to emit heavily on the same frequency ???

Also did you turn the hub maybe ? We know there is some directionality and by turning it in steps 45° sometimes you can gain a few db (or loose)

If a new device came around you might try to reset the radio frequency of the hub via a reset, it’ll scan for the best option during this reset.

To reset the Hub’s radio:

1. Unplug the Hub.
  2. Using a thin tool, push & hold the reset button on the back of the Hub.
  3. Keep the button pressed and plug the hub back in.
  4. Wait for the blue LED on the back of the Hub and then release the button.
1 Like

I did actually… Jan 1st, did my annual deep cleaning of the hose…fresh year, fresh house. I got into the shelf that holds my hubs/routers/etc and dusted, very good chance it go put back in a different orientation.

With the reset, does that just reset the frequency, or does it reset the whole device and I’ll have to set it up again?

Should only reset the frequency, maybe you’ll have to reboot the Tempest to make it find the hub on an eventual other frequency. That is the way it is supposed to work.

Wow this is news to me. I thought hub to tempest frequency was not changeable except for devices to different regions of the World. Is there any link to any more information about this multiple frequency and changing it. I am curious and might help me to understand more.
Cheers Ian :slight_smile:

You are not going to change regional frequency with this (EU to US or AU …) it is just that within the frequency allowance in a region you have a few channels (just like wifi you have several channels in the 2.4, 5 or 6 range).
This is what you do when you reset, the hub will clear the memory and start a fresh scan of the channels (depending what region has been set) and try to find the one with least noise …

2 Likes