DIY USB charger ready!

Math?
Because my Tempest is bricked after one winter?
Because i need externally charging to wake it up?
Compare values before and after?
Calculate what capacity would be needed for working here in the Alps?

But that doesnā€™t explain how you think the power booster wonā€™t help. Furthermore, you take your experience with one device and jump to a conclusion.

i donā€™t think the your ā€˜emptyā€™ battery period during winter would or could cause the battery to fail. ā€˜emptyā€™ is a relative term, the unit might stop reporting, but the battery can hold power well below 2.3V. Perhaps something went wrong during your recharge trials. For sure currently the battery does discharge way too fast.

It was you who revealed the possibility to charge the device exactly in this post. The only difference instead of using an USB-Charger is to use a fully charged LiPo. If this could be the problem then i wait for the first one who connects directly to USB 5V, like you think it should work.

Your source for this information was not revealed i think?
Anyway i revoked my bricked device with this method. Thanks. And i posted this here, because i think that i cannot be the only one having this kind of quality issueā€¦

i donā€™t know, but something went wrong, and yes it can accept up to 5V, but mine also connects using something like 4V, not 5V. You definitely have a problem, with the battery discharging way too fast.

i donā€™t know, but something went wrong, and yes it can accept up to 5V, (from weatherflow in personal message: " just supply it with around 3v (3v to 5v is fine)"), but mine also connects using something like 4V, not 5V. You definitely have a problem now, with the battery discharging way too fast.

my Plan B

Maybe there could be an option for 2500mAh depending on space.

that is my plan B. I have them already on order for some time. But currently there isnā€™t enough space to just swap them out. (but Iā€™ll make some space :wink: )

1 Like

One of the consequences of using LTO cells with the Tempest is the relatively large amount of capacity unavailable to the Tempest after it canā€™t function any more. I think this is one of the reasons it can take so long to wake a Tempest back up after it has been off line for a long time.

Iā€™m not sure if it canā€™t function below 2.39. I think they just decided to stop the sensor and radio below 2.39 to safe power.

Best specs i found for now: LTO lithium titanate battery 18650 2.4V 1300mAh Discharge down to 1.8V. It must be the battery. More and more i think i received an outlier.

it might be the battery, or some other part of the unit is drawing too much power.

It can function down to about 2.32V. At least that is where I remember my first field test unit quitting at and it didnā€™t have any power saving mode at that stage of testing.

1 Like

my mistake, i should have said 2.32V. as Iā€™m not convinced that the unit actually stops working completely below that voltage. It might, but Iā€™m not sure.

Just for reference: I compared the voltage on the pins during perfect sunshine. I assume it is the charging voltage after the regulator, not the effective solar panel voltage. And it is a bit higher than the displayed battery voltage in Tempest portal.

Update: After waiting 74 days for the delivery, i replaced battery. One day after battery down from 2.42 to 2.36V. Now it seems there is something wrong with charging. It does charge, but not even enough to hold the voltage on a perfect sunny day. Today i tested all solar cells, they seem ok too. Each delivers around 0.7v inside house at evening light. No more ideas. But itā€™s bricked anyway.

Perhaps charging is working and the original and replacement battery are both fine, but the unit somehow draws way too much power.

@sunny Now i am on the same track. You assumed this before. All sensors are working, therefore i thought everything must be electrically ok. Sadly this time i had no luck with my Kickstarter optimism. Since no other users address such issues, i think i have an outlier. But now out of guaranty. Too much tinkering. Maybe iā€™ll power it complete externally. Just to omit trashā€¦

thatā€™s the spirit! I hate trash.

I know this post is a bit outdated, but Iā€™m hoping I can get some info from you.
Iā€™ve been trying to find detailed information that you are mentioning here from the Tempest people themselves to confirm it, but canā€™t find it. Where did you find that 3v to 5v is fine, or that the tempest will limit itself to 400-500mA?
How did you find the pinout of the 4 pins at the bottom?
Thanks for the help!