Detailed App instructions

Are there any instructions that walk through how to use the app? There are several things that are not clear on the app.

I don’t know of any specific App instructions. In reality, the best way to learn about the app is to just start tapping on different parts of the screen and see what happens. Some items will also swipe/scroll and some you can tap and hold to move them. I just went through a major part of the app on my Android phone and took screen shots of things which took about a half-hour because I was trying to capture things in some semblance of order and yet not try to capture every iteration possible. Organizing things, annotating the screenshots and typing this up took several times as long as getting the initial screenshots. The App is a living thing, meaning that it changes over time, which is likely why there isn’t some documentation for it specifically. I hope you find this helpful and that my time wasn’t wasted.

Here goes…

At the time of this writing the Android app version was v4.09(102) which is currently in beta testing.

In this document I started with the default screen, sometimes called the Forecast screen. I have used green to annotate different parts which are clickable or to reference. The number labels are unique to avoid confusion. Some pictures are long so you may need to zoom in or download them. Here is the Forecast/Current conditions screen:

This screen shows an overview of the current conditions at the top followed by the precipitation probability, the high and low for the day, then the sun rise and sun set times. Next is the Hourly forecast for the next 24 hours, the 10 Day Forecast, followed by more current conditions than those shown at the top of the page. At the bottom are clickable items to do different things and/or take you to different parts of the app.

Item 1 at the top of the page is a drop down menu which takes you to a list of the stations you have on your account. Each station represents one Hub, the device which is usually indoors and connects via WiFi to the internet. Merely select the station you want to view. You may only have one station so this screen isn’t of much use to you. This example shows four stations with the ones not used in this document blanked out.

The next item at the top of the first screen, item 2, is an icon of the Tempest sensor, tap this to be taken to a current conditions page which updates in near real-time. This is called the Card view and used to be the default view before the Tempest app was released. Here is an example of the Card view which we’ll come back to later.

The next thing is Item 3, the Hourly forecast section. This section scrolls to the side to reveal the full 24 hours of the Hourly forecast. Tap anywhere in that section and it will expand to show the wind forecast. Tap again and it will disappear.

Next up is the 10 Day Forecast section, Item 4. Each day in this section can be tapped and it will expand to show the hourly forecast for that day as shown below for Friday the 24th.

In this picture, the section labeled Item 11, also scrolls to the sides and if you tap it, it will hid the wind forecast section showing this.

Tap again and it will display the wind forecast.

Continuing on with the first picture, below the 10 Day Forecast is a More Current Conditions section. Most of these items are self explanatory but I want to address two items in particular: Pressure and Station Pressure. Pressure is the atmospheric pressure equivalent to what it would be if you were at sea level and is calculated using the elevation of the station location and the distance above the ground the sensor is placed. Basically this pressure is what is used in the typical weather broadcast. Station Pressure is the actual atmospheric pressure that the station feels.

The next item, Item 5, is a share icon. It may look different on your device or browser but they perform the same function. Tap this icon and it will generate a web link to your station.

Items 6, 7, and 8 take you to their respective sections of the app and will be addressed in due course. Naturally, Item 6 is in blue, indicating that as the screen currently displayed.

Going back to Item 2, the Tempest device Icon. Here is that screen again:

Notice that Item 1 is still available at the top but this time the Tempest Device icon has changed to the icon indicated by Item 9. This is the Forecast/current weather icon and will take you back to the first screen.

The next section of the Card view has alternating lighter and darker blue bands called Cards. A short while after getting to this screen you should see things like the wind vein changing direction and the number inside the circle update with the wind speed. This normally happens every 3 seconds. The numbers to the right of this, and many of the other values, update each minute. If you tap-and-hold on a card it can be move up or down in the list to arrange them in any order you would like.

Notice that two of the cards have more than one region circled in green. This is because these regions, when tapped, open up a graph of data pertinent to that section. Each card will take you to a graph, with the exception of the forecast card. Take a look at the Air temperature graph.

This graph has several items in common with the other graphs. Tap somewhere on the graph it self and a thin amber/yellow line appears. This makes Item 12 appear with details about that data point, in this case the air temperature and dew point along with the date and time of the recording.

At the bottom left is item 13 which are the zoom out and zoom in buttons. The most zoomed in view is the 1-minute view.

Beside that is Item 14, which is another menu of all the possible graph parameters and brings us to this screen:

Tap any parameter to see that information in graph form.

One other graph to look at is the Rain graph.

I want to bring your attention to Item 15, the rain drop with a check mark. This indicates RainCheck, if the feature is enabled and has already run for a particular day. This usually runs by 8 AM each day.

Note Item 16 is a cardinal measure of the rain rate for that data point, also indicated by a blue bar in the graph. Item 17 is the total accumulated rain for that day. Note that this goes to zero at the start of the next day.

There is one more card in shown in the Card view screen and that is the forecast card. This card and the battery voltage card may not be on by default. Later in this document I’ll show you where to enable these cards if you wish. The forecast card is a 5-day forecast with a View More button at the right end of the scrollable card. This merely takes you back to the main Forecast page, same as item 9 did. This may seem strange but understand that before the Tempest App was released, the card view WAS the main display of the app.

From the first screen lets go to item 7, History. Tapping this icon opens up a daily history page as shown below.

On this screen there are Items 18, for moving forward/backward through the days, item 19 for a pop-up calendar for selecting a specific day to jump to, and item 20, Show More. Tapping Show More does what it says, shows more data.

Now Item 20 has changed to Show Less to get back to the previous screen. Also note that under the date is a reminder that the data is shown in the order Maximum, Minimum, Average.

Next on the list is Item 8, Settings.

The settings page has many things to do with managing your station and the app. Every item in the list is clickable and takes you to another screen or a pop-up window to change that parameter. I’m not going to cover each item, just explore them to learn about them.

The first thing I want to bring your attention to is Item 21 at the bottom of the page. This is the app version so if you have an issue and are reporting it, this may be useful so include it with our issue report.

In Settings there are three main sections for managing your Tempest Weather Station: MANAGE, UNITS, and ALERTS. The final sections have to do with how the app displays on your device and other Tempest and WeatherFlow items. The MANAGE section is for managing the specific settings of a particular station, Smart Home Integrations and finally signing out of your account on the app. The UNITS section is for specifying the units for all the stations in your account. Finally, ALERTS is for setting the kind of alerts you want from all of your stations. Most of the items are self explanatory so I’m going to focus on the Stations section but first here is an example of the units selection for Item 22, Pressure.

On to Stations. Selecting Item 23, Stations opens a screen like this.

You may only have one station so there will only be one item in the list. A station is defined by the Hub, the device that usually stays indoors and links with your WiFi. A hub can have multiple sensors attached, all of which are part of one station. On this screen you have a couple of choices. You can select item 24, the + sign, to add a new station (ie, hub) to your account, or you can select a specific station to manage. Continuing with the example and choosing station Tempest brings us to this screen.

This screen has several parts to it and I will go into a little more detail on this screen. This is where you name your station (Tempest in this example), assign a GPS location which should automatically set the Elevation value, and so on.

The first item I’m going to address is Item 25, Public Data. It is possible to have your station set so only WeatherFlow can see the data and yourself. Going to the Public Data screen you get to set whether your station is public and, if so, where the public will think it is.

Some people don’t want to show exactly where their station is so they will use some other nearby area for the public location. WeatherFlow will still use the actual location for calibration and such but won’t disclose it to the public. Item 31 on the right hand side of the Share Page line is an icon which will open the share link in a web page in a browser rather than the app. If you are logged into your Tempest account on the browser you will have practically the same things available as in the app except for the setup parts which require a Bluetooth LE connection.

Next on the Station page is Item 26, Show Ongoing Notification. On Android this puts an item in the notification dropdown with some basic weather parameters from your station.

Item 27 is the Manage Devices page. On this page you have the option of selecting Item 32, +, to add a device like another Tempest sensor or some other sensor by WeatherFlow, or to select an already paired device to manage.

On the Device page there are a couple of very important items to have set correctly. First, the Environment must be set to Outdoor for an outdoor device so that the Continuous Learning magic can happen to calibrate and keep your device calibrated. If it is set to Indoor then the calibration is disabled. I use this for a first generation AIR device I have in my shop for monitoring temperature and humidity. If I didn’t indicate it was indoors the CL algorithms might thing something is wrong with my device because it doesn’t follow normal temperature or humidity patterns, for example. Second, it is important that the height above the ground is entered correctly. This may be as simple as using a tape measure to get this value. It is used for calibration and for calculating the sea level pressure value correctly.

There are two other items I want to bring your attention to. One is item 33, the garbage can icon. This will delete the device from the station and un-pair it from the hub. If you delete a device, the connection to historical data is broken, so if you add the device back to your station all historical data will not show. Support may be able to help you out if you accidentally delete a device. The second item is 34, Advanced. Note that this is an Advanced tab specific to this device, not to be confused with Advanced in other parts of the Tempest App.

This is where you can enable/disable lightning detection for a specific device, enable/disable RainCheck, adjust the Wind Direction Offset in case your Tempest Sensor gets mounted a little off, (For the southern hemisphere a 180° Wind Direction Offset is automatically applied since the unit has to face south.) and two other important items.

Replace Device is used if say a device got damaged in a storm or had a sensor die and you received a warranty replacement. Rather than deleting the old device and adding the new one, which would break the historical data link, Replace Device will keep the historical data connection and continue it with the new device.

Finally, the last item is Delete All Data. This is useful when you install a station and there is erroneous data like false rain or odd temperatures from setting up the device indoors and then moving it out side to its permanent mounting location. Delete All Data tells the station to start over with that sensor and pretend that it never had any history on that station.

Now, going way back to the Station screen is item 28, Advanced. I know this sounds redundant but this is Advanced specific to the Station and not the Sensor, ie the hub and not the Tempest sensor. The settings in this screen affect all sensors attached to the specific station (ie, hub).

As you can see, this is where you hide/unhide the Battery Card/Forecast Card.

Next on the list from the Station screen is item 29, Status. Tapping this brings up a screen with a bunch of information which can be particularly useful in trouble shooting an issue.

First up is item 35, Station ID. When you are requesting help it is helpful to provide this number as it is the unique identifier for your station. For this example station the web address is https://tempestwx.com/station/22968/. Notice that the number at the end is the Station ID? This is different than the Device ID as shown as Item 36. The Device ID is what ties the specific sensor to its historical data. A couple of other pieces of information that are sometime useful are Firmware Revision and RSSI. Note that each device has its own values for these. The RSSI value is a measure of the signal strength between that device and what it links to. In the case of the HUB this indicates the WiFi signal strength and for the Tempest sensor and other sensor devices this is the signal strength between the sensor and hub. RSSI is typically a negative value. Typically when this is no lower than around -70db there should be little issue with your station. When this gets below -80db things are more likely to have issues. Try to keep the value between 0db and -70db for the best results.

Finally, the last item from the Station screen is item 30, Messages. This is a list of the last several messages the station sent out.

I hope this helps and wasn’t too confusing.

Enjoy your Tempest Weather Station.

David D. Nelson

13 Likes

This is a fantastic resource. Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

hats off … :+1: :pray:

4 Likes

Beautiful. Thanks @gizmoev!

2 Likes

Thank you for providing all this detail. I don’t see you walking through the detail of the top level of the settings screen. Under Display Options I have wondered what “Always On Mode” does and does it have any negatives if it is on. Also what is “Full Screen Mode”? I can’t tell that it does anything. I’m tried this on my iPad.

1 Like

Exactly what it says, Always on. Try it and you will see that your phone or tablet will stay on for ever without the screen blanking or until the battery dies.

Just like other programs and apps do in Full Screen Mode, it runs without any other menu items typically shown. If you don’t like or see any difference, ignore it.

3 Likes