Dedicated Display Console

…or take control of your own setup and do something yourself to scratch whatever itch you have.

Oh I’ll handle it one way or another, it’s just annoying that such an obvious add-on isn’t readily available. I’m also mystified that there isn’t more configurability of the App when it’s running in Full Screen Tablet mode. That would solve the whole problem right there.

I wish that were so. I currently have that setup running on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10" and there’s a few issues:

1. Even with a 10" screen the display is not easily readable from across the room; this is because you can’t customize the data being displayed. If it was possible to reconfigure and drop the stuff you don’t need there would be more screen real estate available to show the basics like Temperature and Wind Speed in a larger size.

2. If the app restarts for any reason it forgets that it’s running in Full Screen Standard Mode and defaults back to Basic which chews up a bunch of screen real estate in order to display the weather forecast and makes the Temp / Wind Speed even smaller!

If you have a spare raspberry pi, running weewx with the Belchertown skin is a nice option.

Now that’s something I hadn’t seen and I’ll explore it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Edit: That was an excellent suggestion! The “Crandard” skin is the kind of minimalist “at a glance” display that I was envisioning and the NeoWX skin appears to take that farther but allowing a minimalist “at a glance” type display that retains the ability to drill down if you want.

1 Like

oh - yeah. The WF gui design. Yeccch.

My primary display is from Home Assistant using TileBoard as an add-on. Most data is MQTT or REST queries with ZWave door/window sensors. That’s a little heavyweight a solution and HA is very painful to cook up a nice dashboard for but once you get there it’s great. Very dense terminology and not the nicest forum people though…

My dashboard is here (Use a Kindle as a WeatherFlow display - #80 by vinceskahan). Things change color based on state. Description of the howto is in the linked thread.

or…

You could pretty easily do something with native weewx that would look just fine across the room. It’s set up so you can roll your own ‘skins’ to present any look’n’feel you want.

Excerpt from my home page with lots of graphs etc. and data in other frames. The scaling of the rain gauge changes if we get a lot of rain that day so it doesn’t just max out of rain exceeds 1" that day. Color bands are historical hi/lo (example here - 13F to 106F) with the inner white bands showing the hi/lo for that week (this photo - 42F to 54F).

This one is via bootstrap to generate text.

Or you could use node-red if you like that. Lots of folks do that. Or grafana. So many ways to get there.

2 Likes