CWOP : sharing data

Really ? Those companies exist these days ? Wow.

I’m missing how your hobbyist Tempest system is on your ‘company’ LAN at all. Given a non-Linux policy I can’t see how such a company would let (a) an untrusted personal Hub to (b) join the LAN wifi and (c) route out to Internet across the LAN which is needed to make the Hub work at a minimum, even ignoring CWOP. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Even given the Hub on your LAN, you’d need some computer (or appliance) on the LAN as well, possibly running ‘more’ untrusted software. Again, with a non-Linux policy they have to be paranoid enough to make ‘that’ verboten too.

1 Like

I just read through this thread and it looks like our Tempest station data is still not viewable on CWOP, MesoWest, NWS, NOAA? Is that still the case? If so what is the easiest way to get our Tempest data viewable on those platforms?

1 Like

The NWS can view the data but it isn’t available on the MesoWest platform unless you use a third party application to send the data to CWOP. I would recommend using WeatherBox @btst.online to send data to CWOP.

@dsj or someone else on the @WFstaff might be able to give us the latest info on this.

simply not true. i registered with CWOP, got a number, and I can’t find my station anywhere…not even on a member listing. and my station certainly does not show up on any site except Tempest.

Are you using something like WeeWX to send data to CWOP? As far as I know, there is no way to get Tempest data to CWOP without a third party app that has that capability. Tempest commmunicates with MesoWest but, the last I heard, the Tempest data sent to MesoWest were not visible publicly (unless something has changed).

1 Like

Being able to get our Tempest data on CWOP without using a third party service/app is at the very top of the list of things I want to see get done. I just installed a second Tempest station at my main home to replace a old La Crosse station that was uploading to CWOP. Hopefully there is some progress to report @WFstaff @skiwimarty @dsj.

@scotchipman What exactly are your goals with sharing your Tempest data to CWOP?

For anyone just interested in sharing data with the NWS, and other entities…
Pushing data to CWOP is actually unnecessary and can create problems for the NWS.
Keep in mind, we are already sharing Tempest network data with the NWS more directly, and with better quality control than CWOP.

1 Like

My goal it to share my data with those looking for it. Lots of companies sell weather station and each one has their own web page with links to their stations. If can get my weather data on CWOP then it shows up on sites that people that don’t own weather stations look at which is a majority of the population. Sites like https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?obs=true and https://mesowest.utah.edu/ are the two sites I would like to see my stations data listed on.

…also if my stations data goes on CWOP then they provide me with a Wind Rose plot which for some reason are hard to get. I don’t think WeatherFlow/Tempest provide a Wind Rose for their stations? Would be a nice addition if they did.

2 Likes

Understood and sincerely appreciate your feedback.

Is there any update on this - I’ve been sending weather data to CWOP/APRS-IS for over 10 years, and one on the things I really like is the Quality Analysis. Would be nice if we could get that out of MesoWest; but, in the meantime, I’m just gonna keep sending my data to CWOP.

Clay Jackson
N7QNM

Just a quick note to an old topic… I recently purchased Tempest. So far so good. It has replaced my Davis VP2 which has seen its day. I’ve also been using a program called “Weather Display” for years now with the Davis. This program allows your Tempest data to be sent to CWOP, WeatherUnderground, and a few more. Easy setup. It costs $58 for a lifetime subscription to updates, etc, but its well worth it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info about the software. I still wish our Tempest data would automatically upload to CWOP. Please make it happen WeatherFlow. :pray: