CWOP Integration

I’m sorry there are dozens of links there. Do you have a particular thing in mind ? Has anybody gotten a ‘fail’ from the quality checks that we can reference ?

1 Like

Does that mean we should not waste time hooking Tempest up to CWOP. I already registered but I haven’t done anything and I’d rather not spend time figuring it out if it isn’t worth it.

I think that is up to you. Since WeatherFlow sends data to NWS via https://synopticdata.com, sending data via CWOP is apparently redundant (but, the NWS data ingester, MADIS … https://madis-data.ncep.noaa.gov/MadisSurface/ , I am sure, can handle that fine). I have not yet figured out how to see the Synoptic Data WeatherFlow feed in MADIS … but … CWOP data is visible through the APRSWXNET dataset, so, if you want to make sure your data are making it, you can do that with CWOP.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m not sure I fully understand your response but if Weatherflow is already sending data to NWS, then I don’t need additional work.

10 Cane … Man, I miss that rum …

I finished one bottle. That is really smooth and great. I’m going to hunt for more.

:+1: They stopped making it in 2015, I think. I loved the stuff …

That’s not what I read in their specs.
Having discussed related topics with Weatherflow experts, this is my understanding:

The ONLY unsurmountable issue, is unsurmountable by ANY all-in-one sensor unit, not matter how professional: Rainfall sensors and Wind sensors cannot both meet the needed requirements in a single unit.

• Wind speed sensors need to be at a significant height to meet specs. Due to ground friction, the official standard is “10m above ground level in a clear unobstructed location.”
  • Rain sensors ideally should be at a lower height, and protected from significant wind (above 5mph), which causes undercatch.

Bottom line: with both sensors in the same place, you’ll eitherf have too-low wind or too-low rainfall measures. Gotta choose one.

But other than that, I see no reason the Weatherflow can’t meet CWOP QC req’ts.

2 Likes

would like to see this as well without having to do 3rd party. I am a ham radio operator and would even put it on APRS like othes do. There is Weather Underground added in, I would think it shouldnt be that hard to add more into the options at least, even common ones.

I’m pretty sure that the issue is that it is not accurate enough and CWOP will not allow it to be used.

1 Like

Sometimes using the little search option on a forum does miracles :sunglasses:

1 Like

Real hams send their APRS weather packets on 144.390 MHz. :wink:

RIP Bob Bruninga / WB4APR (the inventor of APRS), who went SK a few weeks ago… :frowning:

4 Likes

If my WX3in1 2.0 would do what it says it does and send it, it would go over the air and on the web. Of course cluttering the air up for WX isnt always needed either.

It does. I spent many days and hours already searching and came across this but its not answering what Im looking for at least. If it send to all these servers now, why dont it show up?

Because it is send anonymously and not as ‘your’ station. That’s what I did understand. Also all data goes true quality routines and only relevant data is used. Not everything.

OK. I guess I dont know much about how its done as its all new to me, just got this and installed Thursday. I only know what I have seen or heard about. You would think everyone would be shown though even if it is to give credit to them. I dont know how many systems are out there but of course some are more common than others. Its nice to have options. I have seen other posts asking about the same thing so unless the actual weather pages were to add something, Would think it would just be a central database that everything goes to.

I bit the bullet with this and did the WEEWX with the rasp pi I already have going. It is passing the data and showing. A couple issues I have that Im not sure what to search for would be on the APRS side at least but may have similar problems with the others. Station info for KB3AWQ – Google Maps APRS shows some info but isn’t correct. Its showing on there currently as 30 °F 80% 1073.5 mbar 0.0 MPH North but my Tempest is showing 32.2 F 59% and 29.521 inHg NNE1.2 MPH. How is this stuff corrected?

The page you show only shows one report. It looks like there are more recent weather reports at APRS/CWOP weather report from KB3AWQ – Google Maps APRS with the raw weather reports at Login – Google Maps APRS (looks like reports are being made every ten minutes) . The barometric pressure seems too high (not sure right now what is causing that) but, I will need to think about that issue. Other than that, how do things compare?

Once things look like you want, don’t forget to sign up your station for CWOP by doing step 1 at CWOP SIGN-UP (I think this is still correct).

Will do.

I was trying to do the UDP driver thing but must have messed something up which made it stop updating around 5:20 am, I just got it working where it was when I posted the last post so it should be doing 10 mins now.

Well to compare depending on when your viewing this my tempest link is Tempest

Thanks, I had already dug around and found your station (your ham callsign helped :slight_smile: ). I think they still like folks to add the link to their community profile info … Request to add your weather station share link in your profile .

1 Like