CWOP Data transmission w/o running second computer

Does anyone know of a way to send CWOP data along as Weather Underground station data is now. Like to be able to do so w/o running a second computer 24/7.

meteobridge self sufficient no computer may be 30 or more networks tp send data tooā€¦ powers your weatherflow hub as well simlly connects to your router .

http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Weather_Networks

2 Likes

Another possibility is to use a Raspberry Pi or Pine64 to send the data. There are cheap to install and operate.

5 Likes

Weewx will let you shut down the computer completely if you run it on a Raspberry Pi, sending to just about every known weather service. Oh, and I have it on good authority that thereā€™s a weewx station driver for WF UDP packets. :wink:

I have a sloppy install script to make weewx install on a base Raspbian image, and will need to get it finished and shared before the supporters get their Sky unitsā€¦

2 Likes

hope you have a lot of time coming week end :wink:

Thanks for all the replies, Maybe Iā€™ll give the Raspberry method a whirl. I know WF will get around to that, but theyā€™ve got bigger fish to fry right nowā€¦

My Console would allow thatā€¦ or WILL alllow thatā€¦ once I connect it to CWOP. It already sends to WUā€¦

And since it runs on Android, you could ditch the computer and go with a tablet hanging on a wall somewhere (which is what Iā€™m gonna have a client do).

ā€“Sam

1 Like

I looked at the packet format and itā€™s so super simple. It also seems there is little to no error checking during transport.

I am surprised at the number of services collecting free weather data. Someone should start a list.

I have all kinds of variants of how to install weewx in vagrant/virtualbox, docker, etc. out on github. The provisioner scripts for anything debian(ish) would work on a pi.

(provisioner script for debianish systems)

If you havenā€™t run weewx before, Iā€™d ā€œstronglyā€ suggest you run it for a while in Simulator mode, which is what this script will install, before messing with connecting to a real device.

1 Like

Hi Sam. Keep us informed on the CWOP inclusion status, I could just run that on my older Mac mini with El Capitan until other integrations for sending CWOP data are done. Thanks for all the work so far, works great!

1 Like

Will doā€¦ Planning on possibly getting a CWOP-enabled version out within the next few days.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve put together a NodeJS script that works with the WFArchiver. I could turn it into an application if there is any interest.

1 Like

I have some ā€˜Cā€™ code that handles sending data to CWOP here See wf-cwop.c

I currently run this on a linux box, but plan to move it to a RPi shortly.

2 Likes

I see this thread is a year old but I wanted to give the wfpublisher a try. It fails to compile with error: ā€œwfp-db.c:34:10: fatal error: msql/mysql.h: no such file or directory.ā€

You need to have a mariadb/mysql development package installed. It would be that package that includes the mysql.h header file.

2 Likes

Thanks but now it complains about mosquitto.h not found. I installed the dev package for mosquitto but that didnā€™t help.

Iā€™d suggest starting to Google for the exact error messages you encounter, as others have almost certainly run into the same things.

I developed wfpublish using a Fedora Linux system. On that system, mosquitto.h is provided by the mosquitto-devel package.

It was also designed to be fairly modular so that itā€™s not hard to modify it to remove those modules that you donā€™t care about. It was designed to handle pushing the data specifically where I wanted to push it and I published it mostly as reference.

2 Likes