Customizing App sounds for alerts

I’ve noticed that “Rain” and “Lightning” sounds on my iphone are the same as a new text message. It would be nice to choose from a dozen+ different tones/chimes for these (and any other) alerts.

Can’t you set those in the phone? On Android you can choose any sound you want for each notification. That being said, the Tempest app only separates Notifications (rain, lightning) from Ongoing Notifications which appear to just be when the app first populates the data in the drop down menu of the phone. I have Dew Drops for the rain/lightning sound.

It looks like we don’t have that option on the iPhone.

Maybe try this out: Change notification settings on iPhone - Apple Support

Unfortunately that doesn’t allow you to change the alert sound, only whether it makes a sound or not.

That is a bummer. I thought I used to be able to do that on my iPhone 4 but that was a long time ago. I see that I can’t change app notification sounds on my iPad Mini 2. That is really unfortunate. Need to bug Apple about that. Can apps even change what their notification sound is on iOS?

Yes, the app can change the notification sound. Several apps that I use have a customizable notification sound that you set within the app itself, not through the notification settings in the iOS Settings app. It looks like this is something that WF would have to build into the application.

1 Like

Hi Gizmoev,
My Samsung Galaxy S10e must be hiding from me how to set up different notification sounds. In Settings, I am finding only On or Off for all notifications that use a user selected single sound. Can you please point me in the right direction?
Thank you… Jim

On my S20+ go to App notifications and select Notification categories.

Select which notification for which you want to change the sound. The first one shown, Notifications, is the sound for things like Rain Start and Lightning, and Ongoing Notifications is the sound for when the app updates the Ongoing Notification data.

Select the sound you want that notification you want to change.

Thank you very much.

Jim

1 Like

I would prefer to set each notification separately. One sound for rain and a differend sound for lightning.

1 Like

I have this setup with tasker on my Android via Tasker auto-notification
If you use/know Tasker here is my Rain alert
A quick explanation is it grabs the notification and plays the custom sound.
Would just require a few mod’s to do one for lightening

Has there been any more thought on adding the option to change the notification sound on the phone app for IOS? It would be nice to have the ability to either change the sound manually or have the default sound be different than the other 10 apps I have with the same default sound.

Need this as it matches a sound that our dogs bark at.