Cleaning the Tempest

Any good advice on cleaning? My Tempest is pretty immune to the Florida lizards, but I found a ton of spider webs on it and around the wind gap and such. I’m also afraid they’ll set up shop in the louvered area where other sensors are. Thanks in Advance!

1 Like

I use a moist microfiber cloth to clean my Tempest. It will fit in between the radiation shield areas to clean out any debris that may have found its way inside. You may have to push it in a little but it works great. Or you could use a moist paper towel. Be careful of the special hydrophobic coating on the sonic transducer plates and around the floor of the sonic wind sensor area. You don’t want to accidentally rub any of the coatings off.

1 Like

I have the same question. I am on the west coast and also have lots of spiders. I am really hoping there will be a maintenance mode added to the app so we can take down the Tempest for cleaning and not create erroneous readings.

@keenan You can try my method for cleaning in the post above. I perform monthly maintenance on all three of my weather stations. For the Tempest, I recommend:

1. Unplug the power cord from the Tempest hub before doing maintenance to ensure no data is transmitted to the hub or WeatherFlow servers.

2. Remove Tempest from the pole mount and then toggle the power switch to the Off position.

3. Perform the maintenance on Tempest as desired.

4. Get back in position to reinstall Tempest on its mount. Toggle power switch back to the On position and quickly place Tempest onto the mount.

5. Return to the Tempest hub and restore power to the hub.

Hopefully, this will help you perform maintenance on the Tempest without problems. Those are steps I take to ensure no data is recorded while doing maintenance.

4 Likes

Thanks. That sounds like the best solution for now until we get a maintenance mode in the app.

This cannot be emphasized enough. The super hydrophobic coating is delicate.

FWIW, the hydrophilic coating didn’t work as well as the super hydrophobic coating which is why the former wasn’t used.

2 Likes

My bad. Memory lapse. I’ll fix it. Haha

1 Like

If the Tempest stores readings, won’t this method still record and send some bad data after it is turned back on? It seems virtually impossible to dismount or remount it without at least producing some vibrations that will record as rainfall. I’ve had mine installed only about a week, so I’m asking completely out of ignorance and unfamiliarity. I wonder if WeatherFlow will add some sort of “cleaning mode” setting so that false readings could absolutely be avoided?

@voigtrobert Actually no. Once the power switch on the bottom of Tempest is turned off, any observations recorded by Tempest is lost. The onboard memory needs power to hold data, therefore once power is cut off - the memory is purged.

That request has been made several times. It’s coming.

Thanks for the info, but I’m still a bit confused. When I turn the switch back on and remount the Tempest onto its base, it seems that I inevitably cause some vibration that results in a rainfall reading. What I’ve done is go into the app and erase the data. Is that the proper way to handle it? I was assuming that if I did not clear the data, the rainfall reading caused by the remounting would be recorded.

@voigtrobert If you are quick about mounting Tempest after toggling the power switch back on, it won’t record any observations due to the Tempest boot process. You should have time to quickly mount Tempest before observations begin to record. I would advise against clearing all data .

Ok; thanks. I hadn’t thought about the boot process. And, yes, I hated to clear all the data when I first had to tweak my installation–lost about 3 or 4 good days of data. I’m still learning this device.

One thing that I did was to wipe down the galvanized pole after painting it with some Ortho home defence outdoor. I’ve used this for a couple of years and seems to detour most insects. I’ll have to repeat a bit monthly but mines about 8 ft and after wiping it down with a wet cloth, I just spray on a cloth and apply to around 7 ft and down. It’s rated safe for pets and humans after it dries.

1 Like

Would cleaning dirt with a wet cloth be ok as long as I don’t touch the coated areas?

Or do I need just to run water from the sink to get the dirt off from underneath the hood?

I use a shot or two of air dust. . .but the coating will eventually have rain “spokles” and dust / dirt stains on it.

1 Like

I prefer a shot or ten of rum. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So that shouldn’t bother the wind sensors itself in any way correct? If it doesn’t affect the performance, then I’ll just leave it alone.

Cleaning bird poop that ends up in the gap without damaging the hydrophobic coating has proven very problematic. As seen in the attached photo contaminants have even propagated all the way to the central column. Water alone will not remove these bird droppings. What you see here is only 2 weeks worth of bird damage. I have had to clean the Tempest pretty much every couple of weeks since installing it on a post above my chimney in May where it became a favorite perch for a family of 3 Northern Mockingbirds. I just saw that the long promised crown to keep birds from perching is finally available. I’m ordering it right now! I only wish it had been available sooner, before the bird damage to my unit and its hydrophobic coating had occurred.

2 Likes

Hi @wrchristi we see you have a bird deterrent accessory on the way, great! We’re sorry it took so long but we appreciate your patience.

We would be very interested to read a follow up post on your experience after you’ve had the chance to use the new attachment. Hopefully the mockingbirds’ feelings aren’t hurt after being evicted from their new favorite perch.

2 Likes