CL Calibrations and Historical Data

After you set up your Tempest and CL calibrates it, would it be ok to delete all historical data or would it mess up the CL calibration settings for your Tempest?

As long you don’t delete the station or device it won’t delete calibration. And remember this is not a one time calibration. Over time it will run and run and run … and as it learns adapt.

Gotcha. Just curious to why some sensors on the Tempest needs recalibration when brand new and has been factory calibrated?

Because your siting isn’t the one used for initial calibration. Many things influence sensors and the idea is that the Tempest adapts to your siting. Also over time sensors can age or drift. The system allows to compensate for all those eventual events. Also over time Weatherflow learns from all the data and if there are interesting things to implement, your station will get those experiences back.

That’s the nice part of this system, it can adapt, get udated/upgraded via firmwares.

3 Likes

Nice! I’ve read up some about the CL process but does WF has detailed information on the CL process on one page and not just on multiple forum pages?

For those with the cocorahs gauge, how can you report that information to them? I’ve heard that they can use it to help out with the rain sensor calibration. Would that mean they will be able to get the haptic rain sensor to match up with the manual on a consistent basis? Would I need to remove the rain check feature if I’m reporting rain data from the cocorahs gauge to WF?

1 Like

for manual data the following topic has it all

https://community.tempest.earth/t/sky-vs-co-located-rain-gauge-reporting/5623

for the calibration, nope, I don’t remember such a page but that might be a good idea, I’ll forward to Weatherflow.

Basically there is one done at boot of Tempest or Sky and it needs wind from all sides once at least to adjust the 4 wind sensors.

On server you have 4 : humidity, pressure, UV and rain. Those run on a periodic schedule (though I never ever found the rule). It runs, then double checks the result and if it passes quality control (another secret thing) it will be applied (this isn’t a firmware change, it just happens and it is pretty transparent, except a few extreme adjustments … you don’t notice it)

And last thing that isn’t calibration but related to rain : [raincheck] and also here (Introducing RainCheck)

Hope this already satisfies your curiosity.

1 Like

Thank you sir for the information!

My Tempest is fairly new and I have it about three feet from a calibrated rain gauge. I have found that the rainfall accuracy (without Raincheck) is good at light to moderate rainfalls but it falls increasing behind as the rainfall amount increases. At heavy to very heavy rain it it is under reporting by as much as 50%. I have been submitting reports to Accumulation Data and hopefully its accuracy will improve with time…

www.smbweather.org

1 Like

So the RainCheck feature doesn’t help calibrate the sensor? We had some severe storms roll through this morning (well organized line with no breaks-Very Heavy Rain reported for 20 minutes straight) and my totals for the event are anywhere from .2 to .6 inches less than others in the area. Placement is not an issue. Not to mention, watching the event made me feel like we had quite a bit more than my Tempest was reporting. I really hope that this continuous learning (CL) feature gets it up to speed quickly. It’s a little frustrating seeing the big differences with my neighbors.

1 Like

“The RainCheck analysis is also what will drive the “Rain CL” process for both auto-calibration and quality control. RainCheck analysis data from multiple rain events will be used by the Continuous Learning (CL) system to produce a unique set of calibration constants for each individual SKY device. Calibrations will continue to improve as more and more rain events from your SKY are analyzed.”

When you “delete” the data it actually just assigns a new device id and therefore starts fresh.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for the info! Just trying to learn everything about the WF station before I get my hands on one.