Build your own Air Shield

Hi - The final print used 5 with mine - but i was not using the clip on base as i swapped it with my sky for a screw mount.

So with the base its most likely 6 - i have a replacement Air arriving next week as my humidity is faulty so can confirm when i install it,

Andy

1 Like

Hi - just installed my new Air (performing well!) and its 5 for the middle segments…

Let me know if you need any help if you print it,

Andy

1 Like

I’ve asked around for prices.

Some think they could ask the jackpot :anger:

1 Like

Hi @andyhudsonsmith, I’m interested in the possibility of printing your shield, but don’t have access to a 3D printer myself. I’ve had a look online for 3D printing services in the UK, and the cheapest I can find is upwards of £60. Any suggestions for where I might be able to get it cheaper?

1 Like

I found this at a local garden shop and converted it to a shelter. Cost was $25 at summer close out.

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/wood-shutters-lantern-with-led-timer-candle/8592509.html

1 Like

I built one for under $15 (for paint and a bracket) using scrap wood we had sitting around and a little time. Photos of Air and Installation post 63 or so has a photo and a link to the Audubon birdhouse that I saw in a hardware store and basically copied.

1 Like

I picked up one of those lanterns and discovered it uses MDF for the base and top. MDF doesn’t hold up well in the rain. I did try it out in the sun one day and the temp was a few degrees higher than the Air I left on the shaded porch as a comparison.

Have you had it out in the weather? How has it worked for you?

1 Like

Sadly mine suffered the fate that MDF does in the rain, it expanded and held water. So sadly it was not a solution - which is why i then went on to print my own enclosure and thats holding up well so far - its further back on this thread for more details and the files are online…

Andy

2 Likes

Sorry for the delayed reply! The quote will be due to the time they take to print - each section is approx 3 hours so it books up a 3d printer for the day (actually longer than a day as prints often fail).

Thats not much help I’m aware - if it helps i could put aside a day and do my best to print one out - at the moment i am out and about but could sort out a day in the next couple of weeks (no charge as could view it as a test)…

Andy

2 Likes

Hi Andy, that’s a fantastic offer. Thank you very much :grinning:. I’m more than happy to help out and test in anyway I can. Let me know when you get a chance to print it (no rush), and I’ll PM you my address details etc.

3 Likes

Just starting the print - i am back in the office next Tuesday (got a years sabbatical doing data/environmental sensors/making physical displays so not in much at the moment) so can post it then - could you pm my your address?

Andy

1 Like

Printed and ready to post :slight_smile:

6 Likes

https://community.tempest.earth/t/photos-of-air-and-installation/131/121?u=sunny

2 Likes

Hi weather enthusiasts,

I thought it would be a quick job to cut up a couple of louvre doors that I found on the side of the road. It was quick to cut and bolt it up but the several coats of paint took quite a few days. Completely out of scrap and old paint using stainless coach bolts I had lying around for $0, it should last a while. I intend to include a clear corrugated roof to speed up drying time.
I dont know if birds or possums might use it due to no floor (to be tested like this first) and if I get keen I might add a forced ventilation system. But first I will trial it higher than conventional on the side of a palm tree trunk where the breeze will be greater.

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

6 Likes

looks great, you should not use a forced ventilation in this kinda screens. I have one (bit bigger) and it is perfect. Forcing air true sometimes has inverse effect. Remember the idea is to have a ‘normalised’ environment, not the coldest, hottest or most humid one. Just try to get a situation that can be compared between places.

3 Likes

Lifting the screen onto its support bracket bolted to a palm tree:

Mounted with Air slightly visible from below:
P1010329

The new setting. I have mounted it up the tree because everywhere lower around the garden has less air flow and lots of leaves which I suspect at times increase’s the humidity. Up here there are still some leaves around, and some light reflecting up underneath, and only a few meters from the house wall. I have chosen this location trying to get maximum natural air flow, while still above greenery rather than a roof:
P1010334

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice job Ian.

Rick Comito

1 Like

nice tree too :wink: (we don’t have palmtrees)

1 Like

I knocked up something similar using plastic air vents. I have a “floor” which the Air is fixed to but it’s aerated to allow plenty of air flow.

20180915_174134

7 Likes

Nicely done.

Rick Comito