Bird spikes ideas?

How about custom reflective stickers with the WF logo as the hologram? I’d buy one or two for my car!!!

Damn Seagulls.

3 Likes

20180610_113720_resized
Trying out the cd trick, plus some reflective tape on mast.

3 Likes

Excellent. Let us know whether the CD trick helps. If nothing else, the birds will have something to listen to up there.

4 Likes

Any concern that the addition of a potentially insulating sticker will affect the rain sensor? Isn’t the haptic sensor in the head of the unit? Just checking before I stick something on top.

Should not be much impact as long as the sticker is very thin.

1 Like

Remember that the solar/UV sensor is up there as well!!!

1 Like

Ok - thanks! On the lookout for metallic reflective stickers now. Maybe as a future product enhancement make the top of the unit reflective.

https://www.amazon.com/ShurTech-284039-Prism-Mini-Squares/dp/B00II5BE04

How wide is the ring around the edge of the Sky? I wonder if this stuff is weatherproof???

@vreihen
Not sure but I would think Duck tape adhesive is too thick. I haven’t used that particular version but if it’s like regular Duck tape I’d be afraid it would insulate light rain.

you have several beta sky’s , do they match regarding rain sensing ?

If so you could test on one and see if it changes much the result.

@les_jeanne - I was thinking of a pin stripe around the outside edge of the ring, to see if just a shiny edge would deter avian visitors without having to put anything on top of the Sky where it would certainly interfere with the rain/solar/UV sensors.

@eric - This is something that really needs to be tested in the jig under falling couscous. I have seen enough variability with two rain gauges spaced this closely together where I would not consider any tests that I could perform locally as authoritative:

17%20PM

2 Likes

The answer to my own question is that the edge around the top cover of the Sky is slightly more than 3/4 inches (19mm), and this tape fit nicely. I’m not sure if it is a thin foil or just a fancy sellotape (scotch tape), but it has been on my Sky for over a week in rain and heat without peeling off:

I’m lucky enough to not have bird problems, so I cannot say if/how well it will work to deter avian visitors. Maybe a few vertical strips on the main body will enhance the bird-scaring effect…

6 Likes